Author Topic: American walnut?  (Read 4380 times)

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
American walnut?
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
I live in Bulgaria. I have is an opportunity to buy american walnut, but I do not know is this Hickory. True - this is not black walnut, but I not experience whit this tree and whether only american walnut = hickory.
George
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

TurtleCreek

Re: American walnut?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:19:07 pm »
  I don't think that hickory would also be called american walnut.  I will do some diggin' around and see what I can find.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:31:49 pm »
  Definitely doesn't look like it would be hickory to me.  Do a search on the net and you'll see what I mean.  Even the trees that some refer to as american walnut don't look like any type of hickory.  I think some businesses use the term "american walnut" because it was grown here in the states and it's actually black walnut.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »
More than likely it is black walnut, but it could be either white walnut(butternut) or Claro walnut(English walnut grafted to black walnut root stock) pics would help.  Whatever type it is, it will be nothing like hickory.  Josh

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:41 am »
Walnut or black for bow 50-60# yes, but I want to use it for back. For this is not actuality. Whit ash backing walnut may be a good combination.Thanks for help.
My problem is wood for backs  :)
George.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »
I've used hard maple succesfully for backing, is that an option?
1’—>1’

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
What type of wood do you have available?
Have you tried backing it with a strip or two of itself?
It breaks the grain orientation up and the glue lines come into play for strength also.
Guy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:21:12 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:10 pm »
not completely sure what your question is, but hickory is a white wood, walnut is a dark wood and much softer. You say you are looking for a backing wood, ash is very good for backings..its very flexible,  oak (white). also makes a good backing.... there must be plenty of ash and oak in bulgaria? .......what wood do you want to back?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »
I fully understand what you have in mind guys .. American walnut and Hickory are different things. :)
I successfully using a bamboo for backing.
Here at home I can find - Maple / not hard /, ash, many black locust, Oak also - but he was very weak in compression .but I want to use them for war bows/more 120# from ipe, cumaru...
Hickory is good backing but I not experience with it, but here only the trade name.

Have you tried backing it with a strip or two of itself?

I recently made a 111 # tri-lam

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29384.msg388643.html#msg388643

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:59:53 pm by }|{opukc »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:42:32 am »
I don,t know your woods but when you ask about backing materials the thought I had was to strengthen the woods  you have to use it as a backing .
 Perhaps two layers about 2mm thick with different grain orientation to create one backing strip 4mm thick .
 Not sure I was clear.
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 12:15:46 pm »
Ok, yes, it is now clear .. Was not in my mind this idea  ;) . But for walnut you talking about?I think in that the excessive risk!