Author Topic: Self Arrow Taper Direction  (Read 10788 times)

jumpdown

Self Arrow Taper Direction
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:17:10 am »
Hey there,
I am wondering about peoples' opinions about which direction the taper(the plant shoot is thicker at the base) should face on a self arrow.
I seem to remember people telling me that the thick end should be the point end with the narrow end the nock.

It has always seemed backwards to me, and I wanted to hear about other people's experiences with this.
It seems that if the thicker end is the nock then this gives some weight balance to the arrow as it flexes. 

I am currently working a rose shoot and I don't want to thin out the shaft too much because of the pithy center.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline DanaM

Re: Self Arrow Taper Direction
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 06:33:42 am »
No expurt but the fat end is the point which results in a natural
taper giving greater clearance of the riser,
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jbell

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:26:36 pm »
Like Dana said, the fat end should go on the point end and taper towards the nock. The reason is because the shaft will go around the handle alot easier when shot and its much better to have your weight up front for good arrow flight. This is why shoot arrows fly so good out of a wide variety bows because they aren't nearly as spine sensitive as non tapered arrows. My shoot arrows fly well out of my 65# and 55# bows. Imho.
Justin Blunt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:46:51 pm »
Fat end first.  You can buy shafts that are machine tapered that way also.  Lots of reasons to shoot them that way.  They penetrate better because as they enter the back of the shaft has less friction.  But the most important is the flight. Weight forward shafts just fly better.  It will affect the spine a little.  I believe Pat said you can subtract about 5# from the spine.  When he gets back from the weekend, I'm sure he will let us know. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:59:18 pm »
I build mine with the heavy end for the point . the argument for using the thin end for point is that when it warps itll usually be warping on that end. if this is under the fletching itll be difficult to straighten. ive never had problems straightening them when they were fletched. peace

Offline Mickey

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:43:05 pm »
Like the others I'm heavy end fpr the point. This provides weight up front, gives more meat for cutting in notches for flint heads, provides a natural taper for better bow clearance, and you don't need as much wood for a nock as you do for a tip.

I have heard of guys using them the other way successfully, but I have never tried it personally.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 01:49:03 pm »
                                               Me 6. "fatty" end up front.....bob

jumpdown

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 04:32:34 pm »
Sweet!
This is just the confirmation and assistance I was looking for!
Thanks everyone.
Jason

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:43:26 am »
Same here, heavy end to the front. I plane most of my shoot shafts down to a 5/16" or 11/32" parallell taper, though. Sometimes after planing them to a uniform thickness, I taper the last 8-10" of the nock end for all the same reasons.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:43 pm »
    Fat end forward,even with cane.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 10:02:28 am »
I've made them both ways. The only drawback is the skinny end is usually the toughest to keep straight and when at the fletch end is doubly difficultto do so. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:24:21 pm »
I seem to remember reading once that native american tribes used the narrow end for the point and the fat end for the nock reasoning that the arrow would fly in the same direction that the shoot grows.  I know there are many things that the native's did that followed a "natural" pattern.