Author Topic: Winged atlatl replica - my first!  (Read 18775 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Winged atlatl replica - my first!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:03 pm »
I had always thought the banner stone moved back and forth along the shaft. It being forward on the shaft in the initial start of the throw for balance, then slideing toward the rear as the atlatl was reaching it's maximum arc, enough to slightly flex the shove before it unloaded.

Mullet,  I have been researching shell bannerstones at Indian Knoll Kentucky.  In the process I found that a number of them had black asphaltum on the stones which was cleaned off by the workers who did the dig.  Larry Kinsella tried using this naturally occurring adhesive to attach a banner stone and said it was nearly impossible to get off when he tried to do so  - even with heat.

My point her is sliding is not something I think bannerstones did or we're intended to do.  I think it puts the stone at risk and would risk racket.  I am certain you know how much we hunters hate racket. 

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 10:38:26 am »
Pure conjecture but shouldn't the weight of the stone correlate proportionately to the weight of dart? Like a fly rod! You wouldn't budge a log with a fly swatter, and wouldn't drive a chopstick very far with a 9 lb sledge.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:47:45 pm »
Lost Arrow, I think you nailed it.  I am becoming convinced more and more every year that the atlatl and dart need to be matched.  Thinking that all spears have to be the same is faulty. 

Mass needs to be considered for the atlatl AND the dart. 

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 07:38:11 am »
And I would think the size of game. Heavy for giant ground sloth( close quarters ) and light  and fast for passenger pigeons ! ;)