Author Topic: red oak backed ERC? (pics posted)  (Read 1512 times)

Offline KShip85

red oak backed ERC? (pics posted)
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
Hey all, it has been a long time since I've posted but with winter coming in I'm trying to get back on some bows.  Just wondering if anyone has ever tried red oak backed ERC.  I ripped some slats out of cedar and glued up a blank last year or year before and just recently put a slat of red oak on the back of that.  It was more of an experiment than anything, the cedar had several knots on the belly and I did a less than stellar job of following the grain on it.  I kinda approached it as a lesson in how not to make a bow, using power sanders for a lot of the tillering and a router to trap the back.  The handle is built up from some of the left over cedar and it was glued with knox gelatin glue I think, its been so long I honestly forget.  The back was from a kiln dried board from our cabinet shop and I cut it as close as possible with the grain, but it is not perfect either.  Anyway, I have it strung and have taken a few shots with it and it zings pretty well.  Oh yeah, its 41" tip to tip and is probably pulling upper 20s low 30s at around 18".  I've had some ERC blow on me before and am honestly a little too chicken to pull it back much farther.  I don't have definite measurements as I've lost track of my scales and some other tools since moving into a new place last year.  Anyway, just curious if anyone else has tried it.  My little test has me thinking it could be a promising combination.  I'll try to get some pics posted later, tiller could probably use some improvement.

Kip
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:33:10 am by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Hrothgar

Re: red oak backed ERC?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
Kip, I agree with you, 18" is probably about the limit for that short of a bow. Red oak tends to be a brittle wood--kinda like cedar. White oak might be a be backing choice. If it were me I would probably put a cloth layer--linen, etc-- over the red oak, just in case things did break.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline KShip85

Re: red oak backed ERC? (pics posted)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:23 pm »
Well here are a couple pics I finally managed to get up.  I think the bow is starting to fail on the upper limb.  There was a knot near the edge of the limb that I think may have been part of the problem.  I thought I had the tiller closer than this, but when my wife took this picture it looked much worse.  I think the farthest I got it back was 17", maybe to 18" and the weight feels heavier than my initial thought of the low 30's.  Still need to try and find my scale.  Anyway, it was a fun experiment.  I might give it a go with a maple backing next time.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »
Kip, nice looking little bow. Good luck on your next one!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:48:55 pm »
Hey another Kip, I'd be to chicken to pull it that far :)

Cool looking little bow !!

Kip
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)