Author Topic: Bandsaw Advice  (Read 4717 times)

econner

Bandsaw Advice
« on: July 28, 2007, 08:01:44 pm »
I think I need to bite the bullet and pick up a new bandsaw. I have been limping along with a craftsman 1.5 hp saw that has seen better days. It is OK for sutting slats and splices but that's about it. I have some seasoned hickory and white oak staves that I want to reduce, but I wanted to get some backing strips from them, which rules out using a hatchet or drawknife.
Questions
 #1 - Can I do this with a table saw?
#2 - What kind of bandsaw should I look for? (Power, features, etc)

I know a bandsaw isn't exactly primitive, but time is short. Thanks.

Offline Jesse

Re: Bandsaw Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:31:15 pm »
Im getting a grizzly GO555x 14" 1.5 hp. on tuesday. I Cant wait. I will let you know if I like it. Ive done a little research. Grizzly seems to be the most for the money but if you have lots of money which I dont you could get one from Laguna or Powermatic.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:59:03 pm »
Right now I cut my backing slats with my table saw, and find it a dangerous undertaking.....even when careful, it's a bit unnerving cutting a 1/8" slat :-\ I LIKE my fingers, and I'm almost done with it!!!

If I can find the cash, I want one of those Grizzly saws too! Anybody know of a good poertool dealer in or around Bangor Maine????

Save your fingers...get a bandsaw!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »
I don't see why you cant do that.  I have taken laminations off a BL stave with my Shopfox.  I have also cut 1/2"x1"  Ipe into two 1/4"x1" pieces.  I really think the quality of the blade has more to do with it than the saw.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

econner

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:33:42 pm »
Thanks for the input. Justin, have any suggestions as to what type of blade to get? Right now I am using a craftsman 1/4" blade with 4 teeth per inch. I sure would rather replace it with even a high dollar blade rather than get a new saw. you know - cause I'm cheap.

econner

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:39:32 pm »
Justin,I just saw your post on the other bandsaw thread, I guess that will take care of my question as to the type of blade. I misspoke though, it is a 12"1hp.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:49:24 pm »
For resawing or straight cuts I think you should get the widest blade your saw will handle. Skip tooth is good for resawing. For curves what you are using sounds right. Maybe just a better quality. What is wrong with your saw? If it isnt cutting right  a tunning and a good blade would help. Im sure you already know all this stuff but maybe this video can help someone.http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/2296317/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:51:03 pm by WIBOWYER »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark