Author Topic: split cane comb  (Read 4564 times)

Offline swamp monkey

split cane comb
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
In SW Missouri/ NW Arkansas there were a series of bluff overhangs that were dry enough to live.  Woodland and Mississippian age people dwelled there.  They were known as the bluff dwellers.  It also meant that their material artifacts did not rot away so easily.  In a report on this site I found some atlatl details, basket designs and a strange little comb made out of cane.  Curious, I tried my hand at making one. 

Shaping: First I got a long segment of cane and split out 1/4 sections.  Where possible I split out 1/8 sections.  This often led to bad splits that wasted the whole segment.  So I quit being greedy.  Once split I sanded the segments to a more or less round cross section. 

Bending:  Next I boiled the splints to make them pliable.  I pulled each one out individually and wearing gloves, bent them to the desired shape.  They looked like an arch when done but would restore the original shape if not in a form.  For the form I used tin cans of assorted sizes to keep them bent like I wanted.  Simply place the two ends in the can.  The various sizes gave me arches with various widths.  They cannot all have the same angle or they won't stack flat. 

Binding: I then made about 10 feet of thin dogbane cordage to bind it all together.  Typical warp and weft procedure.

I will try to find that article and scan the original pic. to post when I get a chance. 

Offline Will H

Re: split cane comb
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:38:37 pm »
Very cool!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »
I like it amd would hate to set on it.   :o

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
Very nicely done
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
primitive pick.   did you use it?   8) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:32 am »
That's cool but seein' as how I'm bald as a coot i won't be makin' one myself :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.