Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Wildernesshunter

New to the forum
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:21:51 pm »
Just wanted to introduce myself as is customary on so many forums.  My name is Jordan and I live in the Pacific Northwest, about 15 minutes west of Eugene, Oregon, close to the foothills of the Coast Range Mountains. I grew up here hunting and fishing the coast range, learning the woods and learning to love them.

I have been bowhunting since I was 14 and switched to a recurve from a compound three years ago.  I just got so tired of the complexity of modern equipment, although I still like to take out my rifle from time to time.  The simplicity of traditional archery is what hunting is all about to me.  Needles to say, i most likely won't ever pick up a wheel bow again.

I love to wood work and have made furniture for my wife, and I am just finishing up my first 17' wood drift boat.  There is something wonderful about working with wood and creating things with your own hands.  I think we were made to those kind of things.

Because of this hobby of mine it just seems like the natural progression to start to make my own bows.  I'm excited just thinking about the opportunity of taking a nice blacktail or rosey in the Coast range with my own hand made bow.

I have spent quite a few days in the woods this year and through my travels have found some wonderful looking staves (although still in their natural tree state). 

So here I am, to gain knowledge and friends!  Thanks for taking a peek and let me know if you have any questions.  I look forward to talking to you all.

Jordan-

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »
Welcome!!! And may your journey to your first prim bow be successful  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:19 pm »
Welcome  ! You are in good company in Oregon.  There are some very fine bowyers out there in the NW .  Add them in with the extensive list of them on here and you should be fairly bursting with knowledge in no time.  I look forward to seeing the first of your many bows.   Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »
Welcome to the addiction, glad to see you here. There is a lot of good talent to help you with a bow, and, it's FREE. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:23:07 am »
Welcome to PA
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:14 am »
Welcome aboard.....so what's gonna be your first bow attempt? Do you know or have any thoughts ,ideas,or plans you wood like to share for a first try? Im sure someone around here can help ya out with it. ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:54:19 am »
Welcome to PA Jordan, I live in Bend. there is a fair size group of Primitive Bowyers over on your side of the hill.  Gordon, Elktracker,Dave H. , Deerhunter, Brian B, and several others. If you venture across the mountain let me know and I'll get in touch with Juniper Junky, Blacktail and a few from this side and we can get you underway. As Eddie and a few others said, You will learn all you could want through this site.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:06 am »
Welcome to the club!  We all look forward to helping you succeed with bow #1. 
Bows 2, 3, 4, 5.................100.  Well, you get the picture. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:15:23 am »
welcome aboard Jordan. Sounds like you have a good base to start with so now, let us help you to your new goal.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shaun

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:02:00 am »
Welcome Jordan! Wanna trade some yew for some osage? Just thought I'd be the first to ask.

Offline Wildernesshunter

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:20 am »
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement right off the bat!  I'll try to answer a couple of the questions.

I hope to try to build a long bow of reflex/deflex design.  I thought about trying different woods laminated.  You'll all have to tell me what works and what doesn't.  I have access, where I live, to vine maple, yew wood, and when I travel east, juniper. 

I would be very willing to trade anyone anything, especially that yew for some osage, if I can get up to the higher country and cut some good logs.  I'd also like to get my hands on some hickory.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:15:37 am »
Welcome to PA. I live in Portland so we're not to far away.  There is a really great group of friendly and knowledgeable bowyers in western Oregon.  My strongest recommendation for you is to take advantage of John Strunk's wealth of knowledge. He is a master bowyer that lives in Tillamook and a weekend spent with him will teach you more about bowmaking than you can imagine. he's very friendly and the money he charges for his time is a pittance compared to what you'll get out of it. I'd be happy to meet up with you if you're ever in the portland area. Good luck and have fun.

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:56 am »
Welcome,

Keenan mentioned a few of us on the "westside".  I (Dave H.) live in Dallas, and, along with many others, get together with Keenan and Dave Cheney in the Sisters area in the spring.  We have a great weekend of bow-making and comraderie.  We've got Gordon F., Snag, Lemos, Stan Mercer and many others in your general area.  There is a wealth of information and opportunities.  Look forward to seeing you in Sisters, if not before.
Dave H  aka   Portlandfire

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:40:50 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:34 am »
Welcome , Hope you enjoy. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good