Author Topic: Some mumblings and musings  (Read 9094 times)

Offline Kegan

Some mumblings and musings
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:12:35 pm »
If you would indulge me for a moment, I'd like to point out some obvious things that just can't be metnioned enough about primitive archers.

It has come to my attention over the past few months just how much old ways of thinking have influenced the general opinion of arcehrs (all of them) today while on the "Young Archer's Forum" on Archerytalk.com. Most people think of compounders when they think of elitists, with the idea that they need the best performers and anything less is junk. Not so. recently I have been speaking on message boards that have a variety of archers- with compounders being the most prevelent, but not the only type. They have been quite open minded, with many of them not only appreciating the work that goes into a slefbow, but would like to try it themselves someday. Now, this is only a few archers, but I would like to think it is not the bow dictates the mentality of the archer.

Now, there are some who beleive speed and a "good bow" is important. They will argue with each other over which brand is best and this can become quite heated- but not once has it ever come about when speaking of selfbows. They will only mention how they wisht they had the time to do it, or how it would be cool to stalk with a wooden bow in hand. They want their speed, but they can understand the difference between the types of bows, and they accept it.

Which comes to anther point. There seems to be a new mentality amongst "Traditional" archers. They will claim that compounders are lazy but later state that a selfbow would have no place for a "real" hunter. The also have narrow minds when it comes to how to shoot and what to shoot. Now, this isn't all but it seems to be a new phenomena. Perhaps it is only a few- I don't know. But it seems that, being in between, they don;t have a full appreciation for the other sides weaapons.

Then there are primitive archers. True, there are a few elitest amongst us, but they are few and usualy will stick to themselves instead of telling others off. But for the most part, primitive archers are aikind and understanding bunch- being so varied, so close to the history, and so expsoed to the multitude of styles that they don;t seem to have contempt for any other kind of bowhunting. You can use a bandsax and belt sander to produce a fine Osage bow, or use stones to chip them out of a hornbeam tree- either way it is the same sport. It doesn't matter because it is accepted that this group IS so varied, and that seems to make them quite happy people, happy with what they or anyone else shoots.

These are jstu a coulpla things I have noticed recently, and I in no way want to step on anyone's toes. Prehaps I am just imagining things. All I know is that I enjoy talking with people who appreciate what others are shooting. It might have something to do with what they shoot. Maybe age? I don;t know. I just enjoy a mutual respect, and I know where to go if i wish to see it. Maybe it's that anyone who has an inkling towards wooden bows has a respect for other ways of doing things, at least it would seem so.

Maybe the Old Ways have stuck around for so long because of how they make people act- and the joy that comes with such. Well, thanks for letting me rant. If I offended anyone I am deeply sorry. It just seems wooden bows make people happy :).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Some mumblings and musings
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:40:11 pm »
I guess my idea of an elitist is slightly different.  I believe that more primitive archers are elitists.  Hit and recovery rate amongst hunters is higher in traditional archery than even rifle hunters.  This shows the respect for the quarry we persue, and integrity.  We, as a general rule will not accept a marginal shot as acceptable. Also the willingness to share the knowledge with others is a very important part of this.  This demonstrates a commitment to the love of archery not to ones self. True greatness is not what you have become, but what you can help others become.  One mans knowledge will die with him, the knowledge he passes on will live forever.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:46:25 pm »
You're right- guess I didn't think of it in such a broad sense. When I think of elitists, I imagine someone who looks down upon anyone who uses an improper weapon.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:26:41 pm »
In this age of PETA and anti-hunters I'm for any type of hunting, compounds, fiberglass recurves, modern muzzleloaders, dogs, trapping etc.
What ticks me off is those that look down their nose at my(our) way of doing things. And trophy hunters it doesn't take a big rack to make a memorable hunt!
The hunt makes the memories and if you work hard and manage to get a deer fantastic, if you work hard and come away empty handed but with graet memories then you were successful. We have decided to take a step back in time and I truly believe that we believe the experience outweighs the sucess ratio ;D

Happy Hunting
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:04:14 am »
I was at a 3D shoot yesterday. I had one guy who was shooting a fiberglass longbow who wanted to try my bow, and loved it, was very suprised by it. He seemed really surprise that there was no hand shock, and you had to shoot of the knuckle. After about 4 shots, he was in the 8 ring at 20 yards. My bow, the recently completed elm one, was the only primitive bow out there.

One guy said it was cool, but his eyes didn't reflect that, and it didn't much feel like a compliment. He was a borg shooter, of course. Aside from my two buddies from the club, just about no other archers said zip to me. As most of you have experienced, I felt a bit like a walking curiosity out there.

Which is fine, and I am not complaining at all. They have these machines that fire an arrow 330 fps, have those releases, the sites, the compensators, all that stuff, made out of high tech materials and so on. I've never shot one, but it doesn't look that challenging in any case, and that is thier thing.

There is a difference between elite and elitist, I think. One is results, the other is a negative attitude, at least to me. And the guy who gave me the hollow compliment seemed like the elitist among 70 guys with space age equipment.

Maybe, though, I changed some preceptions just a bit? And, I had a lot of fun out there, so who cares in the end?

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:29:54 pm »
Never really had to deal with all that you guys have been going through.  I've pretty much always stuck with building and shooting my own wood bows. Tried once to shoot a compound bow and fealt it was so artificial I never touched one again.

Now for you guys that do have trouble with people being elitist when it comes to compound bows are fiberglass and such made bows. Ask them:

A) What happens if you break a string?
B) What happens if a cam breaks?
c) What do you do if an arrow bends and how much does it cost to replace it?

Answer:

A) Need to take it to a pro to replace costing me $$$$.
b) See A
c) See A

;D

That tends to get their attention!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

I agree with Dana...I guess I'm in it more for the challenge. I personally gear towards hunting with my bows, I know some folks just enjoy target shooting and that's great. I'm not into numbers when hunting, or I probably would be using a compound. I like the challenge of using a bow I made with my own hands, and having to get in there at close range for the shot. When you're successful hunting with selfbows, it means a lot more to me then just some meat for the freezer. But I also feel successful sitting in a stand on a frosty morning and watching the leaves fall and the wildlife going about their natural routine, and leave without loosing an arrow. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

jamie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:45:32 am »
ive stopped going to 3d shoots that arent traditionally orientated. i cant stand waiting to have someone stare at a target with binocs for 3 minuts trying to figure out where they are supposed to shoot. its in the same place it was last time!!!!!!!
especially seeing as they had ten minutes to do it when their 6 buddies where doing the same thing.

ive actually gotten more grief from some traditional glass and wood shooters than compounds as far as effectiveness of the equipment.
dane you'll get used to being the freak. i enjoy it. peace

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:18:24 pm »
LoL. I then look forward to my freekiness. And I know what you mean about standing around and waiting for the binocular scene - and I do know some of them use range finder glass, breaking the cardinal rule, of course.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 01:24:51 pm »
I enjoy traditional 3D shoots. I always buy a score card to support the shoot but never keep score. I use these shoots to hone my hunting skills. I have found that when I did keep score, I worry about the score and couldn't concentrate on the shots. Also, there are times when a hit in the 12 ring would only wound the animal and a shot way out of the rings would be a clean kill.
  My phylosophy is similar to Greg's.  I feel if an animal comes close enough to where I could shoot him(or her) and they don't know I'm there, I have beat them at their game in their back yard. Thankfully that has been enough to satisfy me these last couple of years.  ;D  Maybe this year, after 3 years of hunting only with my home made equipment, I will score...but if not, I'll try again next year.     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:57:18 pm »
                         Hmm........I have ta agree with Jamie and Pat. I dont go ta 3D shoots anymore either fer the same reasons as Jamie. Also actually used ta get more grief from glass bow shooters than compounders. Used ta use em' like Pat ta hone skills fer huntin' season. Finally got tired of foks arguin' with me when in course of conversation when fact ya aint got 30 secs ta line up shot came up. Interestin' the more introspective compounders agreed that their weapon of choice was fer static shots when ya had time but not fer fast shots er at runnin' game. Some even said they were ok fer tree stands but they woulndt wanna carry them around stalkin er still huntin because of the weight. Always been considered "freaky" so I guess that never bothered me at all. LOL ! As the world turns ey ? ;D.....bob

makete

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 03:36:38 pm »
I have never shot with sites, and I started with recurve and had to switch to compound when I hurt my shoulder when I had to draw very slowly on a buck at 12 yards with no cover, on the ground, to keep from spooking him. I have watched compound shooters who take "forever" to loose an arra (videos of course) and keep yelling " shoot shoot shoot". With no sites I am siting as I draw my arra back and loose when I reach my archor. Shooting at unknown yardages helps me feel the distance. I used to do alot of stump shooting while just walking around the woods, that was when I lived in Washington state as the stumps there were softer and not as hard as the maple stumps here. But still clump shot here. ;D