Author Topic: styles of hunting?  (Read 9504 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

styles of hunting?
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:22:28 pm »
what are your guys favorite styles of hunting. like treesand or walking etc. i like to walk till i find a heavy traffic spot and sit and wait. cant waith to hear what your guys favorites are

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: styles of hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »
I have always hunter from a tree stand but in the last few years(I'm 61 now) mortality has been tapping on my shoulder so I'm trying to teach myself to hunt from the ground where is would be safer. I always felt invisable in a tree stand but feel like I'm painted neon red while hunting on the ground. My brain tells me I can hide just as well on the ground but it is hard to convince myself of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:31:00 pm »
I like to run nekkid thru the woods with a sharp rock or sharp stick in my hand.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 06:50:38 pm »
  I stand hunted for 30 years self bow hunted for the last 21 years. 36 BUCKS only bow hunt mature bucks (11) since 2000 ,05 only from the ground  (3) MATURE BUCKS from the ground. I hunt farms I manage. Set up my sites this winter to hunt the next. Don't go back untill the time and winds right. Only go to and from my ground site onlt scout in the winter after season do I do ant scouting.
NO PRESSURE HUNTING ONLY WAY TO KILL MATURE BUCKS WITH A SELF BOW WITH ANY CONSCENTLY.
   I think bucks and work towards growing and arrowing them 365 days a year. Bow hunted 74 times so far this fall ,saw 39 bucks, passed 7 smaller bucks all 12 yards or closer, saw 17 shooters missed a 3 1/2 ,8 point and 3 other mature bucks with in 15 yards that just could'nt make it happen.
  Did hit a yote and missed 2 others.
  Been eating my tags the last 2 years shot a 10 point in 09 138 ,nice for my area.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:14:50 pm »
I try really hard to find out where JDuba is hunting then go someplace else.

Lane

Offline mighty joe

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:13:20 pm »
mostly stalk, if i come across a good spot i'll sit and wait. no trees for me though, just never liked it.
the only easy day was yesterday and that's how i like it.

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:02:33 am »
I use a ghillie jacket and improvised ground blinds. Got it last year.Love it! I like to have a "screen" directly in front like a large tree so I can draw easier without being seen. make my setups in the summer.  Killed a doe at 17yds this way last year with a self bow, and had several blown chances at close range this year. Everything from a high shot (she was downhill...grrr....) to blundering gun hunters, to a coughing spell to fidget busted..

I've killed about half a dozen small bucks/does from the ground at 20 yds or less, but only last years was a selfbow kill. I hunt heavily pressured public land, So i try to Get'em early,ain't picky.

Being comfy=less fidgeting. Have some butt padding. I take my ghillie in a backpack with extra padding and sit on it when I set up. Wearing a ghillie on the way in is pure folly where I hunt - lots of greenbriers, plus too hot in early season.
Good luck, watch the wind, of course!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:35:09 am »
   I forgot I also hunt with a ghillie also I made in 89. Neve hunt with out it unless I'm in  BLIND.
 I do have a couple standind corn fielDs I stalk in with the wind howls. I arrowed 5 bucks PEAKING THE ROWS doing this only time I move. Then I do'nt do it on my farms. Thats just unneeded persure.
  If you want mature bucks to move in the day light other than the rut. You have to practice the NO PRESSURE approch. It dosn't work any other way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:43:27 am »
for me terrain dictates how i hunt. if im hunting the coast its either thick with alders and salmon berry where seeing beyond 15 feet is rare,or you go higher in elevation into conifer forests where say 30 yards is about as far as you see with plenty of large trees for cover and mossy ground for silent stalking. its in the alders where i tend to set natural blinds, while in the big timber i will walk slug slow with barefeet in the moss. Keep in mind hunting while WALKING PROPERLY is an art that you wont learn if your terrain does not suit the tecnique
but if im mulie hunting in the east hunting strategies change while its still spot and stalk, the differnce is its so open and steep, that we get to the top which is 7000 feet from camp and once on top you move little glass alot and if wind is good and the animals below you the stalk is on. leavin for a week alone in the big timber tomorro hopfully my prey will slip up so i may feast of his fresh vitals....the ancient battle of predetor vs prey...soothes my soul on this christmas day... merry christmas PA

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:35 am »
I always hunt from treestands. The biggest drawback to doing that is that sometimes deer will pass by just out of
range.
This past archery season I had a spike buck walk the fenceline 40 yards behind one of my favorite treestands, never
offering a shot that I was comfortable with.

Hopefully you'll see why we consider it at least slightly amusing- a buddy of mine who uses a climbing stand fairly often kept
seeing a deer or two right near one particular corner of a field he hunted. So he took his climber down to that corner thinking that he'd get a shot. Got there plenty early and stayed 'til dark- the deer never showed. But that's what you get when you try to pattern 'em.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »
  I like natural ground blinds.  Where  I hunt there are a ton of deadfalls, so I try to find one in a good area and tuck myself into it.  Sometimes I get the urge to still hunt, so I will stalk my way back to the truck the last 30 minutes or so of shooting light.  To me, there is no bigger excitement or rush than having a close encounter on the ground.  Just to be in range of an animal on their turf is what makes the hunt a success for me.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »
    Just to be in range of an animal on their turf is what makes the hunt a success for me.

I know exactly what you mean, Turtle!

Everybody knows that one person that does not understand "personal space" and just stand waaaay to close to you and makes you feel uncomfortable, right?  For deer that bubble of space is often 50-100 yds.  When you are in bow range you have already gotten deep inside his/her personal space.  My favorite trophy memory is the doe that stepped on my kneecap when I was sitting at the base of a tree one fall while turkey hunting.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »
When I'm up in Tenn or SC it's stand hunting. But when I'm home and if I have to hunt Public land I usually stalk just to get away from other hunters. I'm hard core into turkey hunting so I usually end up finding a nice, shady, comfortable spot and just sit and hang out for a while. Usually you will have a deer, hog or turkey come walking through.

JW, I had a cow step across my legs once, didn't notice me and then to my horror she stopped, and her tail went straight out. I screamed and almost got kicked in the face but stayed dry. :o ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »
I prefer to hunt on the ground from a makeshift blind out of natural materials, but it's a whole lot easier to shoot deer from a tree.  My best experience have been on the ground.  I had a forkhorn buck sniff my broadhead sitting in a blowdown once.  That's way better than watching them from a tree.  It's really hard to draw on them from a few feet at eye level though.  When it works it is awesome.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »
Eddie- my family is looking at me like I'm  crazy- I just blurted out laughing at your story.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA