Author Topic: styles of hunting?  (Read 9490 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: styles of hunting?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
 GEORGE I never set up where I have to shoot broard side. I always set up where the bucks has to move past me. There quartering ways there atention past you. I've been arrowing bucks this way for a long time. Even back 30 years ago when I compound hunted.
  This is the way indains lived by the bow for 5,000 years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 10:56:33 am »
I do set up for going away shots.  One of my problems is that hunting down here is typically done around feeders.  The deer are unbelievably spooky coming to the feeder.  They're picking me off drawing after they go by, even in tree stands.   It'd be nice to back trail them to their bedding area and set up more that way, but where I'm hunting the bedding areas are off the property.  I'm gonna have to go back as far as I can and hunt their trails.  Sadly, there are a lot of trails, and they take whichever one suits their fancy.  Fortunately, the hogs aren't nearly as spooky so I can use my bow with them and have better odds.  I have to stay up a lot later and usually shoot in the dark though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
JW, I had a cow step across my legs once, didn't notice me and then to my horror she stopped, and her tail went straight out. I screamed and almost got kicked in the face but stayed dry. :o ;D

Two words for you, Eddie:  COVER SCENT!!!     ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:15:28 am »
I enjoy still hunting.Good binoculars are a must.A few steps-glass-repeat,Can sometimes make for a long day especially hunting in northern Penna. where deer numbers aren,t what they used to be.Saw a couple small bucks in archery close enough to shoot but not any legal ones.Spent a month at the cabin this fall and never once sat in a treestand.Rifle hunted the whole last week and saw 29 deer -6 buck but no shooters.Took a big doe at 20 yards on the sneak.My favorite thing is to catch em bedded.Watched a nice wide 4 point(not legal in Penna.)for 20 minutes bedded in the sunshine.Snuck to within 30 yards-he was so relaxed it looked like he could barely stay awake soaking in the sunshine.Hunter-trapper and I will try next week with the muzzloader.Were headed to the cabin for bobcats and beaver trapping and flintlocks for deer.Have a great day!!

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:45 pm »
For me out West.....its gotta be spot & stalk. I hunt mainly desert whitetails or the coues subspecies and Muleys. The terrain, wind direction dictates every move I make. The deer are very wary and are difficult to stalk to within selfbow range or under 30yds. Most shots are 30-55yds. The best times I have found for stalking is when there's a consistent breeze, enough to ruffle leaves and cause movement. Or when there's moisture on the ground during a slight rain. Not only are they keen at smelling ya you also have to contend with their eye sight. Even harder when there's more than one animal.
In my over-sized fanny pack I carry a pair of neoprene wading shoes/booties. These are excellent for the final 100yd stalk. I don't wear camo, I just never have. IMO they spot movement everytime with or without camo. I've had deer,elk,javelina,turkey and even bears up close and personal without camo. As long as the wind was right and no movement they never once knew I was there. All this stuff about scent-lok this or camo that is a JOKE. ;D Its confidence, patience and knowing when to step or move and knowledge of the game your hunting is key.
If it takes 30min to silently go around an obstacle it takes just that. Or you could take 2min and risk blowing your hard earned stalk. I take the longer route everytime. I know.....because I took too many chances and have blown stalks more than I care to remember.
Forever making arrows!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:10 am »
For me out West.....its gotta be spot & stalk. I hunt mainly desert whitetails or the coues subspecies and Muleys. The terrain, wind direction dictates every move I make. The deer are very wary and are difficult to stalk to within selfbow range or under 30yds. Most shots are 30-55yds. The best times I have found for stalking is when there's a consistent breeze, enough to ruffle leaves and cause movement. Or when there's moisture on the ground during a slight rain. Not only are they keen at smelling ya you also have to contend with their eye sight. Even harder when there's more than one animal.
In my over-sized fanny pack I carry a pair of neoprene wading shoes/booties. These are excellent for the final 100yd stalk. I don't wear camo, I just never have. IMO they spot movement everytime with or without camo. I've had deer,elk,javelina,turkey and even bears up close and personal without camo. As long as the wind was right and no movement they never once knew I was there. All this stuff about scent-lok this or camo that is a JOKE. ;D Its confidence, patience and knowing when to step or move and knowledge of the game your hunting is key.
If it takes 30min to silently go around an obstacle it takes just that. Or you could take 2min and risk blowing your hard earned stalk. I take the longer route everytime. I know.....because I took too many chances and have blown stalks more than I care to remember.

Maybe if those primitives (from every continent) would have had camo, cover scents, scent-lock clothes, and wheelie bows they would still be alive today instead of all dying of starvation because we all know the primitive stuff don't work, right?    >:D

Any meat on the table from a primitive hunt is a true trophy.  After all, we hairless ground apes aren't the first to learn to hunt.  Game has been making a living out of avoiding hunters for a long time.  I ain't here for the killin', I'm here for the huntin'.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.