Author Topic: left wing right wings or straight?  (Read 2394 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

left wing right wings or straight?
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »
i am still kinda new to arrow building. what is the differance between the three and what is the best  if there is one

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: left wing right wings or straight?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »
Non better than another, most don't care to fletch perfectly straight, but w/ an off set, 2* is about standard I think.  What makes a diff. is that you don't mix feathers from different side wings on the same shaft.  Some say you can fletch left wing feathers to the right and vice versa and they fly good, but that is debateable.  If you split your own feathers, you will get one that is right and one that is left "spined".  Don't mix them up.  If you split three feathers, you theoretically have enough to do two arrows helixed in opposite ways.  One will usually have a lower profile than the other.  By "spined" I mean, if looking at a left wing feather from the nock end it will have a bit of quill on the right side, store bought feathers.  Others do different stuff, stripping feathers, two fletch and single turkey tail feathers w/ a split shaft to mention a few.  Hopfully others will get on here, but if not, access the prior threads to this page, it gets asked pretty often.  ;)  Good luck and have fun.  dpgratz 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:11:17 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Scowler

Re: left wing right wings or straight?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
I prefer helical (offset) fletchings for my arrows.  Left or right wing feathers will make good fletchings, just don't put both left and right wing fletchings on the same arrow shaft (either all left wing fletchings on the arrow or all right wing fletchings).  I have not had much luck getting fletchings tied on straight to fly consistant.  Good luck.