Author Topic: Atlatl bolts  (Read 4133 times)

Offline mspink

Atlatl bolts
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:55:01 am »
Hey guys. Im in the process of making bolts for an atlatl. Got two fir boards and stripped them down, Will have four when done. Anyway, got them carved down to about 8lbs of spine at 6' long. Was wondering if you guys could help me with what poimts to use if im going to just chuck em around, Also how long should the fletching be and about where. One more thing, what does the knock end look like. Thanks for your time.
Aim small miss small!

Offline aaron

Re: Atlatl bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »
mike,
for points, you just need something kinda heavy and durable. you could get some copper pipe the same dia as the dart, then use it as a ferrel (sleeve) to connect your dart to a hardwood point.
fletching is not very critical on a dart-put the back end about 2 inches fwd of the nock. i use two whole feathers (same wing) and just lash 'em down at each end- they don't have to be pretty or even straight a dart does not spin so they just need to provide drag.
the nock end has a shallow dimple carved in - about 1/4 inch deep. you need to wrap the last inch with sinew to strengthen the nock.

p.s. that antler you sent was great- let me know if you want more rock + don't forget glass buttes in late march.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline gigmaster

• The Naturalpath
Re: Atlatl bolts
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:46:10 am »
It's not really Primitive, but I make my darts from 2 Easton 2316 aluminum arrow shafts, a coupler, and an insert, with turkey fletching. That way I can interchange field points, broadheads and fishing points. Also, the two sections come apart for transporting. It makes it easier to carry them in my kayak (I zap carp, and gar from my kayak with an atlatl).