Author Topic: Arrow wrenches  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Arrow wrenches
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:29:27 pm »
  After reading Kay Koppedrayer's article on straightening cane arrows in the newest PA I decided to give them a try. Below is my arrow making kit. The arrow wrenches I previously made have a tendancy to indent the hot shaft while straightening. I generally only use an arrow wrench for bad kinks in the shaft or near the end where I can't get good leverage...

After reading the article I decided to make a few of the type of arrow wrenches they used. I made two, one osage(probably too hard) and the other ERC. You will note the releaved areas on opposite ends and opposite sides of the cutout. These should prevent the maring or denting of the hot shafts. I haven't tried them yet but will give them a goo check out when arrow making time gets here.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

Re: Arrow wrenches
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »
Nice tools Pat! I don't use anything like that myself, mostly burnish mine straight using an old insulator.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:34 pm »
I was looking at that article and thinking that those could be usefull for shafting other that just bamboo. Have any of you SHOOT shaft makers used anything like this?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »
Pat I have one similar to those you made. Knightd made it for me a couple years ago. It works great, but does have a tendency to dent the shaft if put in a bind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:57:18 pm »
You mean one of these, Art?

Bevan, I rarely use a wrench for straightening shafts but in some situations, with sharp bends or at the end of the shaft where I can't get leverage I will use one. All of my arrows are either cane or hardwood shoots so these tools come in handy when needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:20:08 pm »
That's it Pat.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:41 pm »
Forgot to mention, heat the shaft, lay on a flat surface with the high side up and burnish away. You won't kink anything using this method.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »
Thanks for the post Pat.  Looks simple enough, I'll have to give it a try.  I been wearing gloves.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:59 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
Patrick, I always wondered how you got your arrows straight. If you use it between your teeth you will mar them less!  ;D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »
I need to lose a few more teeth first...hahah

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »
   I just bend between my thumbs or use my knee no kinks this way. I rarely use a wrench when it comes to heating I barnish my shafes. Barnishing takes out kinks. If it's so bad I can take it out by barnishing I uselly don't cut it..
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:33 am »
Nice tools Pat! I don't use anything like that myself, mostly burnish mine straight using an old insulator.

Could someone explain this process to me?

thanks

tenbrook
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »
It's a simple procedure Tenbrook. Heat the area to be straightened, and using some type of burnishing tool, burnish that area with the high side up. You're compressing the fibers on the high side and stretching the fibers on the reverse side........Art

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
This is the way I straighten reed.  I use my hands (with gloves on) and also an arrow wrench.  The same basic principles apply to straightening shoots and cane also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=rd4aWsvcOnk

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas