Author Topic: Four-Foot, Five Color, Total Utility Arrows (And Better Luck Next Year Rabobank)  (Read 15614 times)

duffontap

You know, sometimes you just need to hang the excuses up and make some arrows.  The other day I got down to one arrow and canned the excuses.  This has been a strange season.  With a new daughter to love (and pay for), money is tight and they only full-length feathers I had left were some nice wild turkey primaries I wanted to save for my special hunting arrows.  I don't need 'special' arrows right now--I need utility.  So, here's what I did:

Tough:  four-point footings will keep me from breaking tips off errant arrows.  Doug Fir shafts are tough anyway.  They're tougher now.

Cheap:  I hauled out two containers of feathers scraps that I saved for some unknown reason and started cutting them into 2 and 3" sections to splice together.  These were the leftovers so they weren't premium by any stretch, but they saved me money.  I applied them with super glue and a fletching jig (hold 1 minute and repeat).

Easy:  rather than worry about what people would think of the imperfections, I skipped the special finishes and cresting I've done for the past year.  I sanded with 60 grit and applied the feathers directly to bare wood.  Then I wrapped them on with nylon thread and rubbed the shafts down with teak oil. 

I don't usually post my arrows, but I'm so happy with these 'cheapies' I just had to.  I love this 1-day-no-drying-time-no-waste-total-utility system.  I also thought it was funny that my arrows looked like a Rabobank cycling jersey.  I liked that team leader Rasmussen.  Better luck next time you blood-doping king of the mountians!

J. D. Duff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Nice looking arrows JD. But your choice of teams and riders is questionable.  ;)  How about Discovery.  ;D 1st and 3rd and the team compotition by 15 minutes. Never seen a guy with as much class as Leipheimer. It was a rough year for the junkies wasn't it.  Total casualties, 4 + one entire team. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
When I first read the topic name I though you ment the arrows were four feet long!  :o ;D   Nice cheap arrows, I gotta make some.  ;)
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

duffontap

Justin,
I'm totally on board with Discovery.  I was pulling for Leipheimer all the way.  After his win on the last TT, I thought he deserved it.  So close.  A lot of people think this race has turned into the all-drug olympics.  I still love watching the tour though.  No amount of blood doping would make a cat-4 climb easy, and I believe tons of those guys are racing clean.  Good for them. 

I thought TDC had the nicest jerseys this year.  They were the sharpest looking team by far.  If I had Green, blue and black feathers, I would have used them.

Sean,
I did that on purpose.   ;)

J. D. Duff

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
fibber.
       Sean  :)
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Jeesh JD! If those are just shooters ya whipped up I have got to see the pro jobs!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
  Nice arrows J.D.,I'd be proud to shoot those arrows at our TBOF shoot near Gainesville,Fl.Home of the champs,University of Fl.,Gators.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Nice arrows. Those footings look perfect, that can't be easy to do.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Nice arrows JD,now that is some kind of wild,and as far as the teams yall are talking about I didn't have a clue,bikeing ant big in Tn. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

Jeesh JD! If those are just shooters ya whipped up I have got to see the pro jobs!

David T

Me too ;D!

duffontap

David T

Me too ;D!
Sure.  Here's one:

Offline Kegan

:o Now that is a nice arrow! I especially like the nock and featehr wap- looks better than proffesional arrows ;D.

duffontap

Thanks, but those just take too long to make.  :P  Again, thanks for the compliments. 

J. D.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Fine looking arrow JD.  Might be a little to fancy to shoot.  What if you shoot the nock with another arrow.  :o :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

Fine looking arrow JD.  Might be a little to fancy to shoot.  What if you shoot the nock with another arrow.  :o :'( Justin

Heartbreak!  I agree.  I lose and break arrows at such a rate I prefer more basic stuff.  That's one reason why I use plastic nocks and commercial points--at the peril of my primitive soul.

J. D.