Author Topic: Yew stave question  (Read 2310 times)

Offline coaster500

Yew stave question
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »
I started to work this Yew stave and ran into a problem. I stripped the bark and thought I'd work the sapwood down a bit and this happened. It seem that there was a hump of heartwood under the sapwood. There is still lots of sapwoo on the edges but I now have a bald spot. Should I make the bow 64/65"s long and leave the bald spot in the non working last 4"s or so or make a shorter bow. I want to pull around 27"s and I think another flatbow of sorts.

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Yew stave question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »
 Just back it, won't hurt a thing. The stave I'm working on right now has all kinds of whoop t doos in the sapwood and heartwood. I have violated it big time but I don't care since I'll be sinew backing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:53:04 pm »
Thanks for the post.. I really don't want to back this if I can get away without it. I am going an elliptical belly and the bad spot won’t be bending. The stave was badly deflexed so we put some dry heat with oil and clamped it to my form. It is already floor tillered and I'll get it to a tree in a few days...

I was doing some different layouts in my shop this sad face appeared in the shop door. She didn't say a word but she doesn't need to (no what I mean). Since I started this bow building in August I have been guilty of neglect so this bow is for Lena (my wife) as well as the night out to dinner. At her draw length and weight I don't think I'll have any issues.

I have two more nice staves and I'll build myself a bow from one of them. I’ve learned that it’s better to layout a Yew bow before I touch the sapwood. At least work it down to near finished width so I know exactly what I have to work with…

Lesson #949499300265537940 I think       

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:18 am »
Don't worry about it too much, yew can take all sorts of ring violations that would be death to other wood. If you really want total insurance, back it with a nice piece of clear or white rawhide.
I backed a similar bow to yours, that had a knot with no sapwood above it. It's still shooting fine. It's 60" ntn, and pulls 48#@27". Yew is tough wood.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:57 pm »
When you sign the bow, be sure to write "I love you" on it.  Just be double dog sure you don't miss-spell it "yew" or she will come unglued and you will be lucky to get even the shavings off your shop floor in the divorce!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:51:02 pm »
Well all was forgiving after a belly full of Sushi :)

I took it off the form this morning. It only took about an inch of reflex but this one had a ton of deflex to begin with. Every other bow I've done this with came off almost the same shape as the form. adb, I have a few knots on the belly and a few other suspect spot in this stave so I may for the first time sinew the back. This Yew is too rare (at least for me) to blow it!!

PS... Last night after dinner my wife named her bow to be..... #6 "Yew Naughty Bow” Can’t blow it now... This one's got to make a bow!!!!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:06:53 pm by coaster500 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:01:35 am »
I don't think it will be a problem.
I made one Yew bow (Mr Wobbly) with almost eveything done deliberately 'wrong'.
There is a huge knot showing obliquely on the back with heart wood showing all around it, I didn't leave it proud at all and it held up ok.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:17 pm »
Thanks Del, I don't think I've build a bow without doing everything wrong. When it rehydrates a bit I'll see what it looks like bending a bit...

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:01:35 am »
Just dug out a pic of the back of Mr Wobbly.

Now that's a sapwood voilation!
Del

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »
Del- that's impressive. Has it been shot much?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:24:58 am by HoBow »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »
Del- that's impressive. Has it been ahoy much?
I don't use the bow, it's horrid, the string line is way outside the centre so it twists in the hand,but it does illustrate how much abuse Yew will take.
Del

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »
That almost covered the whole limb Del.... 

I'm just about finished the Yew bow but it will be a while until It's ready to shoot (Work, ya know, Bills?),,,  I asked my wife how she wanted me to finish it, I gave here lots of choices, snake skins, natural etc but she loved my Chittam bow and wants the same finish, It turned out pretty cool even if it doesn't look like Yew anymore :( I'll post a few picks with my Wife and her bow when I get a chance.... and yes #7 didn't break this Yew is pretty tough stuff!!