Author Topic: Mo rock. Any good?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline ChrisP

Mo rock. Any good?
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »
Found this rock on a jobsite near the mississippi river in central mo. I have no knappin exp, other than watchin a few guys at mojam and ojam, and was wondering a couple of things.
- First of all what kind of rock is this.
 -Ive heard differing opinions on whether or not it needs to be heat treated. Im assuming it probably depends on what kind of rock?
-And what's my next step
Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and I'm looking forward to breakin some rock in the very near future.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Mo rock. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »
Looks like some kick @$$ chert to me, but I'm no geologist. You are right about quality of chert and heat treating, some can be heated and made better and some can be heated and made unusable.  Depends on the rock.  I think a rule of thumb might be, if the rock is grainy it will work better if treated, if the rock is already smooth and glassy/waxy, it should need no heating.  Most guys spall them out and get close to a preform/biface before heating.  Larger rocks take longer to treat.  There are several old posts that discuss heating.  What's your next step?  get you  a big rock and find the convex side of one of those chunks and smack it w/ a downward/glancing blow and see what happens.  Old broom stick w/ a 2 1/4" piece of grounding copper stuck an inch into the end will work for a pressure flaker, a rock, a solid piece of aluminum or copper rounded on the end will work for a purcussion flaker to start with.  Get yourself started and the tools will present themselves as you look around for something else that might work.  antler is the "old" favorite, but modern materials seem to make the work less frustrating when just getting started, IMO. It's gonna be frustrating reguardless unless your a natural.  You came to the right place for answers, but be Careful, it's addicting. dpgratz  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:58:34 pm »
I'm not sure what that variety would be called but there is good stone all over MO. Wish i had a pile of that - purty :). Spall some out and see how it works. I'm betting some heat would improve the workability on that. Let us know :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »
That stuff is banded chert.  You can work it rawbut does better treated. It will turn a cool pink color. Sometimes you get a chalky limestone layer in between two good layers a d that make it a bit difficult but that stuff looks good.
Post some pictures when you get something out of it!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline ChrisP

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
Thanks for the info. If i end up with any days at home this winter think ill gget after it a bit. still need to do a little research on the heat treating part. ive got about a 4' firepit in back that will work i think(an abo fire its called?). Still have a few bows that are needing some attn as well.
 Im sure my wife will love yet another hobby, especially as addicting as most everybody says the nappin is.
  Ill be sure to keep yall posted of my progress(hopefully thats the right word)

Offline mjflinty

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 05:50:24 pm »
Looks like Mozarkite to me. I've chipped it raw and it was great; I'm pretty sure it doesn't need any heat at all. Those are some prime pieces, you might set back the biggest or most solid piece for later. I know I destroyed some great rock when I was learning.

Good chipping,
Michael