Author Topic: collecting tools to make a bow.  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: collecting tools to make a bow.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:35:18 am »
Make yourself a tillering gizmo.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

A half pair of scissors makes a dandy scraper.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:28 am »
starting with a piece of seasoned osage, the only tools i use are:
draw knife
4 way rasp
scraper
chain saw file for nocks
sandpaper

of course i also have a homemade bench(just that a flat bench)
and a wood clamp to hold the stave in place while working it
also a tillering stick as that stage comes round( 2 x 2 with slots cut at an angle for the string marked at every inch from 12-28")
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »
ok ok, I cut some maple last winter and am going to give it a try.  I roughed out a couple of kids bows a year ago or so and broke them both.  Guess that's just part of it, huh?  Suppose I've got everything I need.  I thought about hitting up the local sawmill too to see what they have.  I've been reading and rereading TBB2 chaper on board bows and also #1 too.  I don't post often on this page, but hope to more.  Thanks for the push Bubby.  ;D H.N.Y., dpg

Breakage has definitely been part of my journey. I've been at this for a little under a year, and I have probably attempted right around a dozen or more bows. Only 3 of those attempts gave me a shootable bow, and one of those is only about 20#. But I tell ya, shooting the other two is a real thrill, and I have learned more in the past 6 months than I thought possible. I really feel like I have a solid grasp on the basics now. The ones you break teach you much more than the ones you don't.