Author Topic: Simple Bowstrings  (Read 22278 times)

Offline Dictionary

Simple Bowstrings
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
I've been roaming through many threads and noticed most people here use either an endless or flemish style bowstring twist with jigs and synthetic bowstring materials. I have the TBB Vol.2 on strings and can't really understand these two styles of bowstring making nor do i really care to learn them. The style of bows i'm interested is the simple 62 inch Eastern Woodlands Bow 45 pound D Bow and would like to make accompany it with a simple, easy to make bowstring.

I'm thinking i might first try some b50 bowstring and then try a twisted squirrel rawhide string. But am really unsure how one makes it without going to the endless or flemish style with these fancy jig contraptions. The tbb vol.2 describes either making a "single ply cord bowstring" or "Straight Ply bowstring" with two or more plies.

I'm imagining this means taking 2 bundles of b50 and reverse twisting them the entire length for "Straight ply". Or taking the 2 bundles as one and just twisting them in one direction their entire length for "single ply cordage". This thread may be very dumb since i may have just answered my own question But i guess i'm really asking this for verification because i'm kind of confused.

In this video it looks like he is twisting a bowstring at 4:34 and strings the bow at 5:19. Is this a single ply cord of natural fibers for a bowstring? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er1ti_qPtko

Ok thanks PrimitiveArcher.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:45:30 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline adb

Re: Simple Bowstrings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:18 pm »
I make flemish twist strings without using a jig.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:35 pm »
I'm imagining this means taking 2 bundles of b50 and reverse twisting them the entire length for "Straight ply".

This is how I make my 'long' strings for tillering. I just start with strands of B50, twist a loop in one end, then twist the plys the rest of the length of the string I want. Tie a bowline knot at the other end for the length of stave I am working.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:59 pm »
I'm imagining this means taking 2 bundles of b50 and reverse twisting them the entire length for "Straight ply".

This is how I make my 'long' strings for tillering. I just start with strands of B50, twist a loop in one end, then twist the plys the rest of the length of the string I want. Tie a bowline knot at the other end for the length of stave I am working.

this is how i make all my strings. i do have a dedicated one for long string that is plenty long enough for any bow i might make. reuse it all the time. when time for a short string make one for that particular bow. use no jig, just add about 10" to the length of the bow and reverse twist the entire length...seems to work here. the bow knot ends up on the bottom limb when that is determined.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »
So with b50 or any cordage for that matter, wrapping(overlapping) is only used with 2 or more plies?

And also what is lost by only using one ply of 15 strands rather than a 2 ply of 7 strands on each ply?

I hope that makes any sense.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:26 pm »
Only ways I would know to make loops if you use 1 ply of 15 strands would be to twist the whole lot together and tie a bowline on each end, or make a endless loop string (back to using a jig).
Flemish jigs are simple to make. They are used for laying out the plys to the length, not used in the actual string twisting.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »
things always seem complex when you dont understand them , it takes me 15mins to make a single loop adjustable flemish twist string, without a jig, just a hook on the wall. Probably quicker and simpler than a squirrel skin string......definnately better, but maybe not so 'primitive'
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »

I do the same as Bevan.  I haven't made a jig for measuring the string yet.  I just cut a long length of B-50 and cut each one after that an inch shorter.  You don't need a fancy jig for endless loop strings either.  I started out with a 2x4 with two screws in it.  Now I use two shelf brackets with adjustable bolt hooks instead of the screws.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
I can't comment on the other string types because I have only ever made the flemish style. But I taught myself to do a flemish twist string in an afternoon, its quite simple. The jig isn't necessary, it just helps to get the individual strands staggered so that they don't end all in one place, as this would make it so the string it wouldn't twist back into itself as well when forming the loops. I can whip one out in about fifteen minutes, and my jig only took about 30 minutes to make.

To do it without a jig, just get the strands together that you need, cut them to overall length (compensating for the length that will be lost in forming the loops), and then cut one strand 1/2 inch or maybe 3/4 inch back from the end, then cut another strand another 1/2 -3/4 inch back, and so on. Then you can continue on with forming the loops and stuff.

But the jig is really easy to build and use. It looks more complicated that it is. If you are going to make any number of strings I would recommend building and using the jig. Plus the flemish style strings look pretty snappy and don't require any serving to hold them together

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:22:42 pm »
I built a compact jig that fits in the tackle box I keep the string making stuff in. That way I can loose everything in one go.

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »
The strands are twisted in one direction individually and in the other direction when put together
in a string. The twists are what keeps the string together.

My hands are pretty messed up and all the twisting was painful so I asked halfeye (Rich) how he
made his strings and from his good advice I experimented down to the following.

Use 70# artificial sinew. For hunting weight bows(50#) I use 6-7 strands cause I like fat strings.
I twist 2 or 3 at a time to make the strands then twist all strands in the opposite direction to make
the string. Tie a bowline or double overhand loop for the top limb and use a bowyers knot for the
bottom.

Lane

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »
You guys keep saying the flemish is quite simple to learn but i've read the tbb vol 2. on the flemish strings back and front and still can't figure out whats going on and have found the videos i've seen extremely difficult to grasp. Many of you make it sound like there is no way to make a bowstring without doing the flemish style. That is very despairing for a new bowyer, because it doesn't look easy, not to a slow person like me
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:47:40 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »
A Flemish twist is much easier to make than the TBB2 shows it to be... When I make mine I take to bundles of b-50 that are well waxed, usually 7-8 strands per bundle. Starting 8 inches from the end of the bundle, start reverse twisting them together for 3 inches. then fold this over to form a loop. now match the two bundles back up and reverse twist them together, sealing off your loop. Do this same thing on the other side. Then simple twist the loops in opposite directions to lengthen or shorten the string. A finished string can be made in 20 minutes including the serving with practice. This is hard to describe without pictures so Look on youtube for some vids... There are some good ones out there. Hope this helps.

Jon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »
Buy, borrow, or trade for Doing the twist DVD.  It covers several types of string making and is very detailed.  It is a lot more help than reading about it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
Making Flemish strings is fairly simple !
Explaining how to do them is not !!
Then add in the little ways we each like to do them a little bit different and --confusion !!
Most of us had someone standing there coaching us ,that makes all the difference in the world!
The moral of the story is come to a event where someone would be glad to show you or find a neighbor that knows how  !
Don't be discouraged !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !