Author Topic: A full quiver  (Read 15040 times)

Offline Kegan

A full quiver
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:47 pm »
Well, for a while now I have been having trouble with a good arrow/fletching combinations, so I kept coming up with only a coupla arrows at a time, if that :-\. So, after getting tired of trying to trying to glue trhee featehrs on I finally tried the Southeaster Indian two fletch. I love it! It works better than all my other attempts, especially with these sourwood shafts, and is my new standby! Plus, I now have some good flying arrows for fall :).

I'd like to thank Mark O for the blade stock for the trade points and Pat B for the feathers and sinew- without I would have been in trouble ;D!

[attachment deleted by admin]

duffontap

Re: A full quiver
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:36:39 pm »
Those look nice.  You're so much more primitive than I am.  I should be ashamed of myself.  Ha, ha.  I lose arrows so fast it breaks my heart. 

J. D.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:51:34 pm »
Well, my arrows primitive because my "effective range" isn't over 15 yards ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:40:11 pm »
Nice looking arrows.  There is nothing wrong with not taking long shots.  I practice out to 40 yards regularly.  I have never shoot an animal over 20 yards.  Many times I have been under 5 yards.  Its all about shooting where you are comfortable.  I personally like the challenge of getting close. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:50:25 am »
beautiful arrows.  just an observation:  i noticed you used the shiny side on the outside (just like i did) but i was told it should be on the inside.  the fact that they fly well shows that you should try everything and find out for yourself what works and what doesn't (even if that means repeating errors of the past  ;D )

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 04:06:06 am »

not only nice arrows, but nice quiver, too. is that self-made?? - seems to be similar to the badgerfur quiver i posted.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:23:18 am »
Very nice set up,looks like you are ready now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:41:30 am »
Good looking arrows and quiver. I like those Eastern Woodland two-fletches, too. Like Marius said, it's easier to get them flat on the shaft if you turn the dull side out, but as long as they're tight to the shaft, they fly well either way. Good job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:34:27 pm »
Thanks everyone. Honestly, I didn't know you were supposed to turn the dull side out- I ws mainly following and old article in PA (Vol.5 issue 1 I belive). They sly superbly, depsite not being completely tight on the shaft (they do bow away from the arrow- which explains why they should be put on the other way). But they fly well so I have no complaints :).

Frank- Yeah, the quiver is selfmade. I really like it too, just finished it a few weeks ago. It is very quiet, sturdy, and sharp, even if it is a little modern ;).

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 06:38:14 pm »
aaaaaaaaah modern or not: to see a few details of it would make me happy. i really got into making quivers lately...did you check on my badgerfur quiver?? it's at this link:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2311.0.html

it's same stlye then yours...well...less modern  8)
frank

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:26:09 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 01:46:31 pm »
Frank- It's just a simple straightforward back quiver- deer rawhide cylander and bottom, soft black leather mouth, an old belt for the strap, and some fur on the iside to quiet the shafts. :)

Here are some picture sof the fletching and point I forgot to get up. The point looks a little small compared to the haft, but it is simply slanted a little, whoops ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:16:09 am »

thanks kegan! - i never used rawhide for quivers; isn't that a problem once the rawhide gets wet??
frank
Frank from Germany...

jamie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:17:56 am »
very nice set kegan. nice to have another caveman in the clan. frank it actually takes quite a bit of moisture to get rawhide to go limp. peace

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 04:41:35 pm »
And I left the hair on the outsides, it the water isn't coming stright into the mouth, it's fine.

Jamie- Thanks! I like the simplicity of the old cave-crafts. Beats spending money ;D

Offline Jbell

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 02:14:25 am »
Nice arrows and quiver. I am going to build a quiver just like that with a piece of deer rawhide that I have. What did you use for the bottom of the tube. I was thinking about cutting two pieces of rawhide gluing them back to back so that I would have fur on inside and out. Do you think that would work?
Justin Blunt