Author Topic: neck meat from a deer...?  (Read 31731 times)

Offline paulc

neck meat from a deer...?
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:06:44 pm »
How many of you folks take the neck meat?  And how do you handle it? I always feel like I am wasting a lot of meat when I don't take anything from the neck but I have always assumed there was a lot of ligaments, tendons, etc up there that made for a lot of work prepping or a lot of chewing:-)

I always take both shoulders, both back legs, the back straps, the t-loins inside and in front of the hips, and I typically take the ribs as well.  Part of the ethic for me is using as much of the deer as possible so I have been wondering about the neck meat.  Thanks for any advice you have. 

And happy new year, I hope everyone comes through the celebrations none the worse for wear.

Paulc

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: neck meat from a deer...?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:25:49 pm »
I take the neck meat, it only takes a few minutes to get it off.  I just throw it in with the rest of the sausage meat.  It gets ground up, so it doesn't really matter how chewy it is.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »
I watched some guys from louisiana clean a deer once and the vultures were annoyed with what little was left :D they took it ALL!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:29 pm »
I take the neck meat off the top side, but not from the throat side, like Cameroo, grind it.  I usually take any meaty stuff that I'm not going to use and freez it in small bags, the ones veggies come in from the grocery if I have them, and every once in awhile throw the dog a meatsicle.  She loves it and I waste very little.  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »
A buddy of mine makes BBQ out of the neck meat. cooked in a crockpot with some vinegar and water 'til it
falls off of the bones makes for a fine meal!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:11:40 pm »
paulc,  I use the whole thing....I cut the neck meat and the rib meat cut into chunks small to medium and maybe a little trimming but not much.....my wife cans it. Ya can make barbecue, "pulled venison", use it in Quesadias and whole bunch of stuff. When ya open one of the jars just scoop off the "stuff" and ya got the tenderest meat ya could ever want....allready cooked. My father-in-law used to eat it right out of the jar and God help ya if ya reached fer some :o
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 04:35:58 pm »
For me it depends on the size of the deer.  I always take the neck meat from bucks, but very little from does in Texas.  On large bucks I get 2 roasts, but usually it gets ground.

Hobow, you sparked a memory.  I helped a guy build an osage bow in Nebraska and then we hunted together that season.  It was the last fall we lived there before moving to Texas.  He was a manager at the local Hormel meat packing plant and had a team of meat cutters.  I killed 2 does with him (I put him in my best spots and yet where ever I set temporary stands to hunt, the deer came to me) and he asked if he could help butcher.  When he got done boning a carcus the bones rattled.  I've never seen anything like it.  We definitely took all the neck meat off those does.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:09:25 pm »
Waste not want not. I use the neck meat. I pick that sucker clean and make jerky or ground venison with it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »
You won't believe how much meat you get off of a neck. Get the head cut off and disjoint it from the backbone down there at the start of the ribs/shoulder take the whole thing and put it in a big stock pot or a waterbath canner pot and cover it with water,cut you some onions into there and put in some garlic,salt and black pepper.Boil that thing till the meat is falling off the bone,Shred it up and make you a mess of burritos or any recipe  using pulled pork,or chop it up and make a hash.Take some of the strained broth,put in a couple big handfuls of meat and a couple of cups of rice,more onion and salt and pepper to taste,make you up a mess of cornbread and invite some buddies over,they'll be sopping the pot. Chop it up and put you in some diced red onion and Mayonaise and salt and pepper,make a thick samwitch, Oh man ! A cold pilsner and you be in heaven soon. It freezes well for later use in all the ways mentioned. Bon Appetite' Amigo  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:41 am »
I understand the urge to use every last bit of meat you can from your deer, but I even used to save all the gristle trimmings!!!  I'd throw all those little bits of tendons and ligaments and connective tissue off to the side.  When I was done, I'd have a pile of about two pounds of stuff. 

I'd toss it in a large pot, add a little water, and get it to simmer really low for a couple hours.  I'd pour it out in a large cakepan and allow it to cool and jell in the fridge.  I cut it in small strips and freeze.  This stuff is kinda like venison jello-jigglers for dogs.  It contains lots of chondroitin and such, helps keep older dogs joints in good shape.  If your dog has a sensitive stomach, prepare for a gas attack that will make WW1 mustard gas smell like air freshener.  But your dog will love you and you are making good use of the game.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:47 am »
I save all of the shanks. When I have nothing to do I boil them an pick the meat clean and make stew. I do the same with the necks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
I love a neck stew.  I just take out the spine and trachea, and everything else goes in the crock pot.  Seems the fat and tendon in the neck breaks down better than those in the rest of the body.  Doesn't really seem possible, but that's the way it works out for me. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »
Yes Sir!

A Neck Roast is HARD to beat!
Makes a Heck of a Stew!
It's one of my favorite Cuts, and the second reason why I switched to Head Shots when gun hunting.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »
HASH !! and not the kind ya smoke