Author Topic: Christmas in Cuba  (Read 2572 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Christmas in Cuba
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »
Cam, I've actually been to Cuba a coupla times, the last time was 2003 I think.  I already forget for sure, because I caught a last-minute deal to fill seats on a plane, flew on about the 27th of Dec, and was there over new years.  Which I celebrated by smoking a cigar and having a shower whilst simultaneously washing some laundry.  I get the feeling things have really changed over there.  My 1st trip there a fella could still participate in the local economy with the peso.  3 years later, they were starting to transition to the peso convertible, and it was harder to get the same deal on things as the locals.  Anyways I did more of a backpack kind of a trip, staying at casas particulares and roaming around as much as I could afford to.  My second trip I ran out of money early and spent 9 days biking around Havana, mingling and trying not to get ripped off by the jineteros.  The memories are pretty rich.  It almost makes me want to work so hard that I could afford to go back again...

A note on the cigars... It really depends on what you're looking for in a cigar.  I got a box of black market Cohiba Esplendidos for $15.  Assuming they were authentic, they were worth (at the time) about $200/cigar in Florida (according to my cousins who live there).  Anyways, they pretty much cured me of wanting to smoke cigars: Even the $25 cigars I could buy in the specialty shops in Winnipeg made me want to gag.  Those were some nice cigars.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:40:18 pm by zenmonkeyman »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson