Author Topic: hunting points  (Read 3641 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

hunting points
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:27:04 pm »
what do you guys like to use as hunting points? i am curious cause i am still new to knapping and looking to make some stone hunting points and was wondering what everyone here uses. really interested in seeing what you guys use

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: hunting points
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »
Obsidian, Dacite, any stone that will flake a razor sharp edge  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »
I prefer the Texas cherts, they are tougher.  After that, I like unheat treated Buffalo River or some of the various Tennessee River valley cherts.  Kentucky Blue is also real good. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:09 pm »
I'm with Bill on this one :) But I've seen glass points that have successfully taken deer with very little damage to them. I think the most important thing is that you make them sharp.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:34 pm »
 I like Coral but have also seen Obsidian points slam some hogs with little or no damage. For me, as far as chipping a sharp point quick and easy I have to side with glass Dacite,or Obsidian.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:20:32 pm »
Heres one I used this year to harvest a nice deer made from some TN Dover. Worked well and only nicked the tip as you can see.
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Will, you got any idea of the weight on that point?  I knapped a bunch of small stuff, 70-90 grain, but since I've gotten a scale, I go for heavier sizes, 125+ grains.  I know a lot of you guys hunt heavier heads.  Since I got the scale, it has put size into perspective for me while I'm knapping.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »
I'm sure chert is more durable than dacite, obsidian, glass, etc., but after driving a small dacite point into a poplar tree after missing a pheasant a little while back I'm convinced it's plenty good enough.  Had to hoist a guy up to reach the arrow for him to wiggle it out, but the point still looked fine.  Just had to touch up the tip a little.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »
Like Bill. I like Texas rock. Its local , plentiful ,& its what I cut my teeth on. Here are some pics of the corner notched I use.  Two ready to go , two ready to be hafted , & two that served their purpose.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »
Those look awesome Tower!

Derik- I think that head was about 160gr and 1 1/2" wide
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:54:55 am »
small heads out of onondaga or normanskill preferred, but ill use any material i have. most of my hunting points are between 50-80 grains. but i use heavy shafts for penetration.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bushman

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:09:48 pm »
What overall weight are your hunting arrows?
Bushman

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »
I am a fan of the smaller points as well. I like the best penetration I can get. so i use em about 7\8 wide. I am an abo knapper and like really sharp serrations.  i dont usually weight my points but for learning reasons I have weighed some  they are between 60-80 grains typically.  I prefer cherts\flints as opposed to obsidians. some folks dont like the serrations, they feel they hang up in the hide. I prefer the serrations as long as each one is scary eff-in sharp!  never had a hang up when the serrations are scary. - Ryan
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:40:55 pm by twistedlimbs »
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Will H

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
Those look great Ryan!

Bushman, my hunting arrows are between 600 and 750 grains usually. I like the heavy arrows for penetration. Both deer I killed this year I had total penetration on. The one with the 1 1/2" head on it blew right through 2 ribs and was laying on the ground as the deer ran off. I like the wider head for the blood trail, with the right bow/arrow setup you shouldnt have any penetration problems.  ;)
~Will
           Clarksville, Tennessee