Author Topic: fresh deer hide how long will it keep?  (Read 9961 times)

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
fresh deer hide how long will it keep?
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:34 pm »
I was given a small deer hide that from a deer was killed about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It has been in my shed since then. The temps have been mostly freezing but a few days they went up into the 40s.

I had hoped to get to scraping and salting it right away but had too may other commitments, before I go to the trouble to work this hide I'm wondering if there is a simple way to tell if it has turned. My plan is to use it as raw hide rather than tanning it.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fresh deer hide how long will it keep?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »
If it don't stink, is should be OK. You may want to freeze it until you are ready to work on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »
A hide will start to smell bad if not salted, so that is your best indication of whether you want to use it or not.  The hide can still be used for rawhide if it's smelly but if you want to tan it with the hair on or if you want the buckskin for clothing, your best bet is to tan a "good smelling" hide.

Hide really doesn't "turn" the same way as meat.  Let your nose tell you. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »
Thanks! I'll go take a whiff and put it in the freezer if it passes muster.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!