Author Topic: Two Winter Projects  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Two Winter Projects
« on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »
Here are two winter projects I have started. The first one is from a 2" diameter osage pole that Mike McGuire gave me at last years Classic. I sawed the pole in half lengthwise, put spacers between the two halves and bound them together for a few months. I did this to prevent them from taking too much backset and to help prevent twisting. All I have done with this half is to remove the bark. You can see it has a relatively thin sapwood.  It is cut to 64" long and 1 5/8" at the center. I tapered the last 8" of each tip down to 1" wide for now. Here are a few pics...

The other project was a gift from Keenan at the last Classic. It is a 47" yew blank, cut out in the style of the Northwest bows. It is about 2 1/4" at the widest points on each limb.  The sapwood was pretty thick so today I reduced that to about 3 rings but there are violations above them on the back. I will sinew back this bow but I want to get it bending some first. Here it is...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Two Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:48 pm »
Another nice start there Pat.  I just love the grain of yew wood.  That combined with the sapwood, I think makes a beautiful bow.  Looking forward to the end results for sure.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »
Two winter projects, no snow and sunshine. Brother, you're blessed >:(!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »
I want to see that shorty yew bow bending Pat. Very cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
I will say that I made a bow from a similar Osage sapling about 7 years ago thinking it wouldn't amount to much with all the pins and knots, but I enjoy shooting that bow more than all the rest I've made. Looks like some fun projects Pat. Good luck and post final pics.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:25 pm »
Looks like good stuff...that yew looks sweet >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »
Only 2 winter projects Pat?  Are you slowing down in your old age? 

Just kidding.  These look like some fun and challenging pieces.  I can't wait to see what you make from that osage twig.  Good luck and keep us posted.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »
looking good pat.
bryan irwin

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:28 pm »
Looks like fun stuff on both Pat...are you gonna flip/recurve the tips and pull some reflex in with the sinew on the yew? I can't wait till some of my yew dries to make some west coast na bows.ill be a watching and waiting :)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
Nice, Pat.  Looking forward to seeing that yew bow, especially!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:18 am »
This just made my day Pat.  You got that looking very nice already!,  Sturgeon fishing just started for the year.  ::) :o just thinking outloud  >:D  Funny thing is I have been looking very hard at that Osage sapling that you gave me at the Classic.  ;D Imagine that

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:10:48 am »
Did I give you the other half, Keenan. I was trying to think who I gave it to. COOL!!! Its ready to tiller.    I don't know if you remember this particular yew stave(blank) but it had mostly sapwood(so I thought).  I reduced the sapwood down quite a bit today and can barely get an inch or 2 of floor tiller. 
  I do plan to flip the tips somehow and add reflex when I add the sinew. I want to read more about these bows. I'm looking for suggestions or ideas so I can progress.
  Clint, these are for me.   ;D   I have 2 bow trades coming up and 3 other bows to make.   Sometimes I feel like it but I'm not getting THAT old yet!  ;)
  Tracy, I made another one a few years ago but let it go into about 6" of reflex. After heating it enough to get it back to controlable limits it cracked across the back. I still have the bow and will repair it.   Ever since I read about Sonny Imans "Limbow" years ago in PA Magazine I have craved one. Hoping this will be the one.
   Me too, Pearlie!  8)
 Art, I'm praying for snow. We had good snows the last two years and can't buy a flurry this year. You have to remember we grew up in Savannah. Snow was a treat when we were growing up. Both Marcia and I love it and enjoy our woods in all weather conditions...even that nasty old snow.  ;)
  It is beautiful wood Charlie and gets better with age.
I hope you can say that in a few months, Bryan.  ;)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:28:27 am »
Remember these pat by yewarcher?...they might help on ideas and def on the inspiration dept. :)
I know they do for me ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=20512.0

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:41:28 am »
Anothef great pair of projects to follow. Can't hardly wait.

Vamonos Pat!! We're burning daylight...

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:45:30 am »
Thanks Blackhawk. That will come in handy.
  Cipriano, actually the days are getting longer!  ;)