Author Topic: turkey fryer heat treating  (Read 10312 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: turkey fryer heat treating
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:55 am »
Gotta pick one up.
Been bangin my head off of some rock, Ryolite, trying to get it heat treated and not getting her done in the oven or BBQ Pit.
Hopefully this will work the trick! :)

Thanks Again,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline RickB

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:53:06 am »
Gus, in our part of the country (NC/SC) I don't believe that rhyolite's knapability is improved by heat treating. Rick B

Offline seider

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:09 pm »
Well i guess i would have to get one.  Then i will have to start taking my time and get some good flakes off and through em in the cooker. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:49 am »
Got a small load of buffalo river chert and have never heat treated rock. Looking to get the turkey roaster setup and wanted to find out a few things like sand or not, temps, cook time etc. Anything would be helpful!   Thank you

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Will H

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:58 am »
Tracy, I put about an inch of sand in the bottom then stack the rocks in there in layers with sand in-between.  Put the lesser grades in the corners and your best stuff in the center. Then fill the roaster to the top with sand. Crank it to 150 and let it sit for two days to dry. Then crank it up to 400 and let it soak. I'm cookin BR right now with a 14hr soak. Let it cool before you try to handle it. Hope this helps. :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JEB

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
I am a rookie at this but this is what I do.  Buy a roaster at a yard sale for $15.00.  Put 3" of Lake Michigan beach sand on the bottom, lay rocks on the sand so they do-not touch, put 3" of beach sand on the rock and continue until you finish with a 3' covering of sand.  turn the roaster on to 200 and then turn up 50 degrees every hour until you reach top heat, mine is 450 degress.  I cook mostly Texas rock and some Flintridge for 8 hours and then let it cool down on its own. do not lift the lid.  It will take a couple of day cool down.  Hope this helps.

NOTE: I found a source spot for rock outwest and also cook the chert that I found and it turns out real good.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice and tips!

Will- let me summarize: once layered, set temp at 150 and cook for 2 days to remove any moisture and then increase to 400 for 14 hours and then allow a day or two to gradually cool to air temp.

JEB- about 8 hours at 450 once you hit max temp?

Thanks

Tracy

Offline Will H

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »
Tracy that's about it. I think it better to go a little less heat to start. You can always give it more if you need. Every roaster is a little different. ;) I've never had issues with the rocks touching also I dont think my roaster will heat any faster than 50 an hour anyway so I just crank it up and let her eat :) hope this helps
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Tower

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »
They pretty much summed it up. I set my temp at 225 to start , but I store my rock is a covered place. Total cook time for me is 24 hrs.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chertle

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »
Plenty of time to get my rock heated before I get back home Tracy ;) Just remember that I found a lot of it.  Leave me some please >:D
Leslie
Indiana

Offline TRACY

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:59 pm »
Plenty of time to get my rock heated before I get back home Tracy ;) Just remember that I found a lot of it.  Leave me some please >:D
Maybe, but I hauled it out to the car! >:D

Thanks for the tips and advice Will, Tower, and JEB

Tracy

Offline TRACY

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:27 pm »
Ttt

Offline StevenT

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
Just curious how long a roaster oven last. Since it is left on for long periods of time, I was wondering how long they last before they burn out?

Offline Dalton Knapper

Roaster
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »
Turkey roasters like the one pictured work great. I pour in about 1" of playground sand and arrange the spalls to heat treat, filling with sand as I get about half way and continuing until I fill the whole thing and dome as much as will fit with the lid on top. One thing to remember is to initially heat it to to only about 150-175 degrees for 24 hours. You might get by with less pre-heating, but remember water boils at 212 degrees and if there is any moisture in your stone, guess what happens when it turns to steam inside your rock? You can test with a probe thermometer but check all over.

Another thing to remember about roasters is that the sides and bottom are much hotter than the middle because that's where the elements are located. Just stick a thermometer in different spots once you get it heating and you'll see. I have hit almost 700 degrees on the sides of mine, but it's one of those antique ones that gets hotter. So I usually only turn the knob on mine to about 400 for most cherts that need 450 to 500.

It's all a big experiment until you know your rock and roaster and their quirks. I don't bother to ramp mine down with sand in it because it will hold the temperature and slowly drop over about 24 hours, which is a plenty slow downward ramp. When I am heating I usually ramp up more carefully 200 for 4-6 hrs, then up to 300, wait an hour then up to 400 (and the same rate for higher temps). I hold the temp 24 to 48 hours leaning towards the 48 side and depending on the rock. When done, turn it off and let it set until it is cool through and through, certainly no hotter than 100 or so at the most if you are in a hurry.

Wal mart sells these around most holidays for about $25. Use the heck out of it and if it burns up - take it back! Sometimes you can find the old ones at the flea markets, but believe me, 400 gets hotter than 400.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:38:33 pm by Dalton Knapper »

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »
I was talking to the flint ridge rock guy and he said if you take the liner pan out you get at least another 100 deg, seems to work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹