Author Topic: take down sleeves  (Read 3653 times)

Offline bcbull

take down sleeves
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:52:31 pm »
i just got a package from ups  from 3 rivers  my son orderd 2 sets take down sleeves  man these are pretty but TOTALY A PIECE CRAP!!!cant even get em apart out of the box  any one ever use em ? and if so what plms did you have,,THE  only thing i can see is to file em mechine em a bit where do  you guys get ur take down sleeves  thanks  BROCK

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: take down sleeves
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:19:07 am »
I seam to have the same problem no mater where I get them...I try to bend the steal close to fitting around the brass fit the wood whilst they still kinda fit than when the glue dry's I file/emery cloth the final fit ..their are other ways but that is what I do
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:33:55 am »
I've used them.   The problem is that you have nothing to get ahold of to pull them apart.  Once the limbs are glued in you have quite a bit more authority to pull the insert out of the sleeve.  I had to drive the brass inserts out with mallet and wood dowel when I got my set.  I did have to sand the brass a bit to make the fit perfect, but I believe that I deformed it pressing it on the bow.  You do have to be careful with the inside of the steel sleeve rusting.  I only used one of the brass sleeves, gluing the other limb directly into the steel sleeve.  Here's a link to a picture of the glue-up if you'd like to see it.  http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5261/5572089452_1e251c298c_z.jpg  It's one of my favorite bows, but the process of fitting the sleeves is more of a challenge than most people think.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gaur

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:07:29 am »
I make my own out of stainless steel sleeves and then have a machine shop spin brass to fit in the stainless. Then I make them into an oval shape in a big vice.  No rust problems being stainless and the wall is only 2 mm so plenty of room for wood.  Still have the same issues of having to use a piece of wood to get them apart while I am working on getting the fit just right.  Problem with getting them sliding nice from the factory is that if there is any free play they make a load click when you draw the bow.  They need to be good and tight.  I use some wax to help them move easier. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:30 am »
You want the sleeves to fit a bit tight. When the bow is complete use parafin wax to lubricate and they will come apart easily.
Gordon

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:46:15 am »
I use them and, after some initial difficulties, find them to be good. I suspect that your problems  may result with the product being different from your expectations. Remember, the sleeves are a raw product and will require a lot of work and shaping to make a nice take down.  I recommend reading Trad Bowyers Bible 3 on take down bows. It will help you heaps.

James

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:59:57 am »
I just finished fitting one and it was just like yours when I got it. After some filing and emery cloth it fits like a glove.

You have to get it rough fit (pretty tight) then fit and epoxy it to the billets and do the final fit
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:46 am »
If you could take them apart easily now they wouldn't be worth putting on a bow! TTB 3 is all you need!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:27 am »
Brock
   That is the way the ones  I have worked with came to me. Get yourself a piece of wood and a mallet and drive it out. Then get yourself some Emery cloth and some flat metal files and start in on them. Does take time though to get them to fit. Dean

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:11 am »
Be careful not to warp them,and if you plan  on sanding or filing them ,do it after
you have them on the billets and do that very slow and very little at a time,they need to fit snug or they will make noise when you draw the bow.In my experience[and I have done several] if you bump them apart and are very careful while working with them[don't clamp in vice or hammer on] they work fine when you are all finished with maybe just a little emery cloth work.  :) I think I have one in the build alongs, along with several more folks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:35:46 am »
Not to hijack, but for a typical osage do y'all prefer the 3Rivers small or large size, and is the small (not stainless)  size softer / harder to work with?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:02 am »
I use the small with stainless and 2 brass sleeve's,I have a small hand and it is really a little bigger than I would make a wood handle.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 04:27:09 am »
thanks a bunch guys  ill make em work i am a mechinest i can do that just wasnt what i expectd at al loutta the package lot s of usful info thanks again brock