Author Topic: Dallas Osage Cutting (more pics added)  (Read 9395 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Dallas Osage Cutting
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »
:)

I hear ya George...

She's got a few more Osage, Mesquite and Huisach outings since last July but I think the chain is still in good shape.
Its got the Tungsten Carbide teeth... or was it Depleted Uranium?   ;D
She ran well yesterday.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »
Man George!!!  wish I could go!!  New Yorks to  far  BTW  I need to pm you,,been  nuts  here. JeffW

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 11:24:54 pm »
Wish you could too.  There's an osage bow blank sitting on my workbench patiently waiting for a new home.  Maybe your place??? ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
Big storms overnight, but it dawned clear here.  Gus has arrived, Leon is on the way and breakfast is ready.

Should be a good day.  Life is good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:41 am »
  I  didn't  know  about  that?? man  I  have to clean my keyboard!!!!  FYI  if I was there,,,,,you might want to get work out of ME first!!!  cause  grub like that  will  make me  want  a  nap!!  good luck  have  fun be safe  and take Pics!!    Jeff

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »
We cut down just 1 clump of osage trees today that had 3 nice trunks.  It wasn't quite as straight as last year's, but it was on the edge of the ball field and Thomas wanted it removed badly.  Most of the pictures are still on the SD card from the camera, but I did snap one with the phone of the wood I brought home in the trailer after I sealed the ends.  It doesn't include 3 nice sized logs and some smaller ones that Gus has in the back of his truck.

It was a good day of cutting.  Both saws ran well, and nothing got crushed by falling osage trees.  Gus and Leon were good help and Leon's son Ethan brought his bow and did some shooting.  Good times.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »
How many bows do you think you have there?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »
Hard to say, maybe 25 or 30 if the splits go well.  This tree had more branches so there'll be some wood that doesn't work.  Wish you could have made it.  There were 3 more trees right there we could have taken down but we were loaded about to the limit with the 1.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 11:06:49 pm »
I guessed 30. I thought about calling when I got off but that was 2 and I knew it was too late. Better luck next time.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
Yes Sir!

Thank You for your Hospitality George!
Breakfast was Great and the Company Better!  :)

Here are a couple more photos including the logs I brough home...
Thank The Maker, we had a perfect Wood Cutting Weather window!

And the Wood, New and Old, is Beautiful!!!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline k-hat

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
Nice haul!! Wish i coulda been there!

blackhawk

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »
Call me crazy but the biquits n gravy look better to me right now ::).....nice cutting...wish I had a tractor to pick up n drop whole log in the back of a truck.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »
The eats were good for sure, and being able to use Thomas' tractor is VERY nice.  Here are more pictures.

This is the clump we took out, Thomas really wanted it gone.  It was in the way of his ball field.

Gus dropped the trees and Leon moved most of the wood over to the truck and trailer as Gus and I did the cross cutting.  Here's Gus cutting down in between the tree trunks while Leon watches.

Leon brought his 4yr old son Ethan who stood guard in case osage thieves were in the area.  He also saved us from the rare poisonous lady bug beetle...

Fortunately, the cameras did not catch me doing the 10 yard dash with running chain saw when I cut a bow stave length of trunk out of the piece stuck in the tree.  Leon got a good laugh though.  We did have one very anxious moment when the tree fell toward the trucks on the last cut.  Fortunately, a friendly hackberry tree held them up until we could hook the chain and tow strap up and pull them out into the open.  Here are more random pictures.

That's probably enough for 1 post.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Dallas Osage Cutting (more pics added)
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
Here are more pictures.  Every now and then I get lost and confused in the middle of a tree-top.

Gus is explaining growth rings and how they relate to the bowyer.

Leon is strong as a bull, moving heavy osage logs with ease.  My back thanks you.

Thanks Gus and Leon, it was a fun outing.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Dallas Osage Cutting (more pics added)
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:15 am »
I have yet to see any yellow wood growing around here.  Wish I could get in on that fun! :)
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei