Author Topic: Cypress  (Read 1736 times)

Offline cracker

Cypress
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:58 pm »
OK I been holding off on this for a long time and I may be nuts but here it goes. I have this pipe straight piece of Cypress that's been sitting around for a few years now and I've been wondering what to do with. When I split the stuff if was a very tough job the stuff has inter locking grain a lot like elm it is light for it,s size and seems quite springy and the little voice in my head keeps saying warbow so I'm thinking 77 or so inches maybe thicker than yew by 20% or so and see what happens. What yall think. Be honest and let me know.
Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cypress
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:25 pm »
Since it's your wood, your time, and your effort....I say go for it!  Just as long as you post pics!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »
That's what I was thinking. I don't know much about yew but from what I understand that some of the same characteristics only idfference would be ring count. Ron

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:52 pm »
I'm with JW ;D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:57:07 pm »
Do you have the length to make it at least 80"? Id go as long as I could with it.

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:59:30 pm »
Blackhawk I probably have 90 or so but at what point is it too long?

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:53 am »
Since your doing it for the heck of it and not hunting with it,then length really don't matter too much with such a light wood. Id go at least 82" if making a warbow with cypress....but I've never made a bow with cypress before. Just my own personal opinion of what I wood try if it was my project.

Also what weight are you wanting to try and pull out of it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 01:12:07 am »
Ronnie, I think I'd go wide and overbuild it as per Paul Comstock. Think I'd back it with rawhide, silk or linen also.  I believe the Seminoles used cypress for some of their bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 01:56:05 am »
If you are talking about an English Warbow I'd go 1 1/2" at the fades and taper to the tips, 76-80" and make the belly round -semi round. If you are talking about an Eastern Indian Warbow I'd go 2" at the fades, flat belly, bend in the handle and slowly taper to about 74". JMO ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:54:25 pm »
If there was a way to make bow with cypress that didnt bend I think you would be fine! :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »
I once made a 50 in paddle bow out of Cypress that pulled 26 inches. Backed it with rawhide and the limbs were 2.5 inches wide.  Held up for quite while, but eventually failed in tension.  Fun little bow though.  If you've got enough width, I'd go for a flat bow, 70 inches long and two inches wide for 2/3 rds of the limb, tapering and thickening towards the tips.  And I'd back it with linen. 

That or a short sinew backed bow. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.