Author Topic: osage moisture  (Read 14677 times)

Offline chessieboy

osage moisture
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:48:16 pm »
I have some osage that was cut 2 years ago and left along a road.  I split it into staves.  How long do you think it will take to get dry enough to start working.  I understand it will depend on size humidity and the suck, just trying to get some ball parks.

Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage moisture
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:21:08 am »
You can remove the bark and sapwood and seal the back and ends and can start on your staves tomorrow. Reduce it to floor tiller stage and store it in a warm dry area for a few weeks to a few months, depending on heat and humidity. You can strap it to a form with some reflex induced to aid in the final cast and to keep it from twisting while drying.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
I work Osage all the time that is 2 years old or younger,Just in between workings I keep it in a hot box or over the AC duck in the house in the summer and by the gas heater in the winter.Like Pat said thin it down first and leave it a few days over the AC duck and then go to work.Osage
unlike Hickory don't take on as much moisture once it is dried out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:11:14 am »
Has it been raining on it for 2 months straight?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:32:27 am »
Justin not sure where that came from but nope. Its been very dry lately, until now that is were getting rain this week.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 11:51:35 am »
I dont know where you are.  Some areas of the country have recieved non stop rain for the last several months.  That could effect how much water is in the wood and how I would treat it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah