Author Topic: when to shoot deer.  (Read 5348 times)

youngbowyer

when to shoot deer.
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
Today i saw about 7 deer from my stand. They were all really spooky due to gun season but I couldn't get a clear shot. I was wondering when should i shoot, when they are coming towards me, or when they are walking away?
Thanks,Tom.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: when to shoot deer.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:27 pm »
I would suggest a side or quartering away shot. Frontal shots offer very small targets.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »
When the shot presents itself.  IMO quartering away is the best if possible.  from a tree stand there is more opportunity to move around and draw, so a good clear profile shot in your range should do the trick.  shoot a lot from diff. angles when practicing and from a stand if possible.  remember that from a stand your going to aim a little lower that on the flat plan.  when a deer comes into the range you have set for youself while sitting in that stand alll day, and it's legal and you want to take it and it appears the deer doesn't see you or is looking away or it's head is behind a tree and the path is clear, pick your spot...a small spot. Nowcalm yourself down and focus.  I'm bettin you can figure out the rest.  good luck to ya YB, dpgratz ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:41:06 am »
From a tree stand a quartering away shot is the most productive but a broadside is pretty good too. You want your arrow to go through the chest cavity and hit the opposite shoulder.
...and like Derik said, calm down, focus on the "spot" that the arrow WILL hit...and it will. Don't look at the whole deer. Pick that spot just behind the shoulder that is in line with the off side shoulder or leg. That will put that arrow through the boiler room.
Aim small, miss small!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:01:43 am »
If you pick a spot to hit that is centered top to bottom behind the shoulder on a spooky deer you will shoot over it 100% of the time when it drops at the sound of the arrow leaving the bow.

Shoot at the bottom third of a deer, the lower the better on spooky deer. I have had spooky deer bounce their chest off the ground when they dropped at the sound of the shot, even aiming low I shot over them.

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »
well  i listened to my neighbors advice to wait till they walk past me. That was a big mistake, I saw a 5 ptr which should have been mine. I waited for him to move a few more steps but he busted me right before I could shoot. I think ill stand in my stand instead of sitting from now on. Too much movement involved to stand up. Feeling confident for tomorrow and the weekend though. Wish me luck!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:27:10 am »
Aim small, miss small, Youngbowyer!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:27:03 pm »
I think ill stand in my stand instead of sitting from now on. Too much movement involved to stand up.

Seems like it would be easier to practice shooting from a sitting position. ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:27:38 am »
  I set up all my sites to where the bucks going away. Just not for the quartering shot. But after the buck go's by his atentions at whats in front of him. This is the only true way of drawing with out haveing to worry about him seeing you. I set up the same way gobbler hunting. Unless they go behind something there's no way to draw on a broad side buck or gobbler with out him seeing you. I'VE TRYED OVER AND OVER.
     It's not that the indians had special powers or could shoot remarkally well. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THERE BOWS AND ARROWS AND HEADS. They kept it simple. They just set up like this and thet lived by the bow for 1000's of years. Ofcourse setting in a tree you have a much better chance of getting the shot off.
  Even when I tree stand hunted I still used this princeable. I've arrowed 36 bucks and humteen doe's and 15 gobblers with a selfbow. I'd have to look back in my journals but I say 90% were shot this way. REMEMBER IT YOU CAN SEE THEM COMEING THEY CAN SEE YOU.
   Learn to set up this way and you are sure to up your % or shots.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JunBorgy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
I had best experiences on hunting, both using rifle and bows and arrows. I can relate much on this topic because it is my favorite activity. deer hunting | sable hunting
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:30:19 am by JunBorgy »

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:58:38 pm »
Hmmm. When to shoot deer....Whenever they are in season and in range >:D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 01:06:28 am »
when you are hungry >:D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »
That's a big question mate that's hard to answer well without seeing what you are doing. 
* First location and cover are essential.  Try to have an idea where the deer will be coming from and have proper cover to conceal your drawl as best as possible.  Don't underestimate how critical a good setup are.
* Timing of your draw is key.  Do it when the deer will not see you when possible but not too early that you have to let it down.  Ideally a deer is walking and you draw as it passes a tree between the two of you and then shoot within a few seconds after.
* Stop a moving deer by making a noise.  Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and say mat loudly for example.  It's much easier to hit a stopped deer.  This should give you 3 seconds to shoot a doe and 1 second to shoot a mature buck in my experience (if they were not spooked to begin with).
* Based on where the deer are coming from ask yourself not what is your first shot but what is your best shot.  be patient and let the deer get into an optimal position.  Be willing to NOT take a shot if such a position does not arise.  This is what it means to be an ethical bowhunter.
* The best shot is if the deer is slightly quartering away from you.  That is, it walks a bit by you.  Shoot wiht the exit location in mind.  You should be aiming at the far leg/shoulder (the side you can't see) on a quartering away shot.  I aim slightly below the center line in terms of height as the deer can crouch a bit after hearing a shot noise.  If you are shooting brodside aim behind the shoulder slightly below center line (not at the oposite leg as in quartering away)
* Last keep telling yourself don't move until it's time to move and remain perfectly still as the deer approach.  If some movment is necessary make it very slowly and you will be fine if your setup is good. 
That's a lot of random info that helps me bring home some meat.  Hopefully you take something from it.  Best of luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »
BTW quartering away or broadside are the only shots I personally take.  I suggest not taking any quartering toward shots, period; anything less than an optimal shot will likey result in a wounded animal for all but the most expeirenced hunters.  Which is not cool in my book.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

youngbowyer

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:03 pm »
That's a big question mate that's hard to answer well without seeing what you are doing. 
* First location and cover are essential.  Try to have an idea where the deer will be coming from and have proper cover to conceal your drawl as best as possible.  Don't underestimate how critical a good setup are.
* Timing of your draw is key.  Do it when the deer will not see you when possible but not too early that you have to let it down.  Ideally a deer is walking and you draw as it passes a tree between the two of you and then shoot within a few seconds after.
* Stop a moving deer by making a noise.  Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and say mat loudly for example.  It's much easier to hit a stopped deer.  This should give you 3 seconds to shoot a doe and 1 second to shoot a mature buck in my experience (if they were not spooked to begin with).
* Based on where the deer are coming from ask yourself not what is your first shot but what is your best shot.  be patient and let the deer get into an optimal position.  Be willing to NOT take a shot if such a position does not arise.  This is what it means to be an ethical bowhunter.
* The best shot is if the deer is slightly quartering away from you.  That is, it walks a bit by you.  Shoot wiht the exit location in mind.  You should be aiming at the far leg/shoulder (the side you can't see) on a quartering away shot.  I aim slightly below the center line in terms of height as the deer can crouch a bit after hearing a shot noise.  If you are shooting brodside aim behind the shoulder slightly below center line (not at the oposite leg as in quartering away)
* Last keep telling yourself don't move until it's time to move and remain perfectly still as the deer approach.  If some movment is necessary make it very slowly and you will be fine if your setup is good. 
That's a lot of random info that helps me bring home some meat.  Hopefully you take something from it.  Best of luck!
Awesome info! Thanks!