Author Topic: Pole Bow (winter project #1)  (Read 25070 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Pole Bow (winter project #1)
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »
  I decided to use this osage pole stave for a trade bow on TG. When I started a few days ago I had half of a 2" osage pole with just the bark taken off and the back sealed with shellac and the last 8" of the tips narrowed. Looked like this...

Here it is after a little wood removal and a little heat. There is a dogleg at one end with a knot there on the edge. I'm leaving the dogleg alone unless I need to make allignment adjustments. Even though this stave has natural reflex it wasn't even so I used the heat gun and some olive oil to even out the reflex. I reflexed each limb seperately. Here is one limb on the caul...

...and the end results...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:28:54 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will H

Re: Pole Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
Thats lookin great Pat! Cant wait to see how it turns out!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »
Looks good Pat.  I see lots of osage that size from guys selling fence spreaders down here.  Most aren't that straight though...  Never tried making a bow out of wood that small a diameter.  Looking forward to how it turns out for you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »
Neat project Pat, I can't tell from the pics but is all the sapwood removed or are you leaving that on?  Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
Tah-dah! I cant wait to shoot it Pat! Err towards the light side of my target draw weight with a bow reflexed that much. Thanks!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »
hey pat looks neat  got me thinkin here whens out p a bow trade sign up gonna be ?? been watchin waitin for it brock ;)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:36 am »
Awesome Pat!

Like I said before this is one thread that i will be following closely.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:42:27 am »
Lee, all I did was remove the bark. All of the sapwood is still there and is part of the bow. There are only 2 or3 sapwood rings. You can see it on the end grain in the first few pics and along the sides of the heartwood in the belly close up.  Due to the high crown I will back with rawhide.

Brock, I'm not sure. I'll check into it.

Probably will be anyway Pearlie.  ;)

George, this is sucker growth either from a stump or a water shoot in a tree. Vertical growth. I thgink this stave has about 12 growth rings.

Thanks Will and Jon. I'm looking forward to it too.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:10:40 am »
Pat looks like another great build! That's a pretty color on that pole.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:39 am »
Ya gonna hang a nice flag on that pole too,or do a dance for us on that yeller pole ::)...lol :laugh:

It'll be interesting to see a high crown sap on osage bow bend...hope the rawhide holds her down...it should and not sure if I wood try that unbacked... ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
Good looking start Pat ,that should be a fine stick. :) :) I never really done a sap wood on Osage but I know you have and Sonny done them all the time without issue. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:14 am »
Nice one Pat!  I love it.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:15:45 am »
Sonny is where I got the idea to build a bow like this, Pappy.  For those that don't know, Sonny Imans was a bowyer from Ohio that was interviewed in an old PA magazine by a guy named Dane Snodgrass. The article was called Limbows and this is the kind of bows Sonny built. I had the the privledge to spend about 30 minutes with Sonny at Farmland Indiana years ago on a trip back home from, Northern Indiana to NC. Sonny's bows were excellent, hard shooting hunting limbows. Just peel the bark and make a bow.   Look up the old article, read it and try it for yourself.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:00 am »
You are right Pat,we camped with him for years at Cloverdale,the bows were works of Art. I still regret not get one of them. :) Good luck on that one,looking forward to seeing it shooting. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:43 am »
That is going to be a nice one Pat.