Author Topic: Pole Bow (winter project #1)  (Read 25059 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Pole Bow
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
Can't wait to see her progress, Pat.  It looks like a premium piece.  I had the pleasure of sitting with Sonny and his wife several times at the Primitive Rendezsvous at Marshall, MI.  He was certainly a first-rate fella.  I made a few of the limbows.   The knots were the trickiest.  The sapwood didn't like to hold up around them.  I cured them with back sinew wraps. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »
  I always spray with a pestaside as soon as I cut the stave. If you debark you get rid of the eggs. The eges are are ready layed so if you don't spray they will hatch. They won't infeast your house they only lay eges in green bark. And the hatchings only eat green wood.

Feel the holes witrh super glue. I mix with saw dust but sence your sinewing you won't see it so no need. I made bows and left the holes it won't hunt it if it's not on a edge.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »
   Don't know why this posted here.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 04:07:37 pm »
Look forward to seeing your progress on this one Pat I need to get me a trade going on a sapling like this I really want to try one.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »
Josh, you have access to some proven sapling bow woods with Keenan and Gordon both doing the practice runs.  :D  Choke cherry, service berry, juniper, vine maple, yew and I'm sure there are others. Gordon has a hazel bow build along in the How To setion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »
I have built sapling bows, I want to try a osage sapling bow ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 10:20:48 pm »
Josh,

If we find any vertical straight branches in the osage we cut in a few weeks I'll send you one. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
Hey thanks I would appretiate that allot! send me a PM if you find anything around 1 1/2" to 2" and half way straight ::) and around 62 to 66" long ;D  and I will see if I have any wood you are interested in for a trade. I have some Oceanspray I think you may like! Thanks again

Josh

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »
vertical straight branches in the osage

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks George, I needed a good laugh
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »
Yea, Josh didn't catch the humor in that. :)   But, I've seen straight suckers out the top of horizontal branches before so there's hope.  I'll for sure grab some if I see them.  I'll also go to a much closer spot I've cut trees out of for a couple years and see if any suckers that are large enough came up from the stumps.  Lastly, I saw an add in Craig's List this week for osage fence posts.  >6" diameter corner posts = $6ea.  < 6" posts = $3.  <3" spreader posts = $2.  Some of those little spreaders were real straight.  I might go get some of them.  I like the idea of somebody else doing the cutting. 8)

All that to say I'm gonna take care of Josh. ;)  My only question Josh is whether you're talking about full diameter of the pole or diameter of the heartwood?  I've seen 2" osage posts down here with little or no heartwood.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:50 pm »
O YA make fun of the guy from oregon who dont know any better! I aint never even seen osage in it natural environment :P I would say one like the one pat has here looks good but I have seen a couple that John Strunk has built that were 1 1/2 through to 2" through and they had a good enough amount of heart wood to work and they shot absolutely awsome in fact he hunted with one for elk last year. If not no big deal but I thought you were serious thats why I replyed to you offer didnt know it was a joke :) thanks though

Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
It was  only the straight part that was a joke my friend.  I was and am serious.  Can't guarantee anything though as you just never know until you get your hands on the wood.  Given that I have more than one chance it's possible.  Ocean spray sounds fun to try too. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:59 pm »
Pat,
On that knot. you going to wrap it or anything besides the supper glue? Even if it is not in a bending area, won't it be stressed enough to pop out?
I agree with what was posted. That knot would scare the water out of me. I am really enjoying watching how you handle it.

Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 11:24:35 pm »
Talking about the knots On the sapling bow Mr Strunk built recently it started to develope a crack just across the knot and he used a rawhide patch with super glue and a wrap over that. He uses this allot with knots when they look iffy or start to crack.

Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:34 am »
Wrong bow Bevan. The bow with the knot is the yew paddle bow...and I will do more than just the super glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC