Author Topic: Need help in how to make a simple bow and arrow set up for my cubscouts  (Read 8716 times)

Offline sangerw

Need help...I just recently subscribed and I am interested in getting personally involved in Archery. At the moment however, I am looking to have my cub scout den (Weblos I : ten boys age 9-11) participate in making their own bows and arrows. I read through the message board and it sounds like everyone has their unique preferences and ideas. I am pretty enthusiastic. Ideally, I am looking for a simple exercise that I can start and finish in anywhere from 1- 3 hours or less...  step-by-step instructions  along with a materials list would be great... is this feasible? If so, I could really use the help...thank you ...warren

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Need help in how to make a simple bow and arrow set up for my cubscouts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:32 pm »
I remember a magazine article about making kids bows from PVC pipe. it was quick & simple. Arrows on the other hand are a different matter.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline davkt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »
Or if they want to make a trad bow have a look at this thread:
http://www.archery-interchange.net/f137/budding-young-bowyer-111153/
My 7 year old daughter is loving making a bow like Egstonvonbrick describes which seems to be a scaled down version of the 'first wooden bow' project at the back of Vol 4 of the Traditional Bowyers Bible. Chloe is taking her time to do it all herself but the chap who wrote the description says he did it in a couple of hours and I guess if you do the rough shaping beforehand and let the cubs do the final shaping and tillering they could do it within their timescale.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »
Warren,

Here is a supply list:

1. Juniper/cedar branches or Ash branches in 4 feet of lenght or so.
2. Trotline twine - one spool
3. A sharp pocket knife per each child which they bring
4. Chainsaw file 

Peel the branches,sand, file nicks for the string, find the center of the bow and mark it with a pen, pencil or marker and this can be the nocking point on the string, twist two strands of twine for your bow string, adjust the string so that your brace height is 4-5 inches.

Put the string on the bow and shoot. That's it. You can paint them and decorate them prior to finishing or after.

I once made 16 such bows like this once for my kids and neices and nephews. They fasted an arrow well and the kids had the best time ever. My children still have these bows in their rooms.

This is a hands on lesson or project that creates a functional working bow that can enjoyed by kids for years.

Hope his helps.
Cipriano   
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:23:02 pm »
I am assuming you have never made a bow, have you ever made anything like this? Learning to make bows is not an overnight process. Building bows with 10 Webelos is even tougher. I would suggest the PVC or bamboo bow. Dean Torges has a video "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow" that shows how to cut out a bamboo bow for a kid in a matter of minutes. He didn't just take a piece of bamboo and tie a string to it, he actually cut a tapering bow. I think this would be the ideal situation for you. I wish I had a build along for you, but Im not aware of any.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah