Author Topic: Winter project #2  (Read 26265 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Winter project #2
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »
Looking really good pat!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Shaun

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:39 am »
Get that flat spot out of the left limb (about a third of the way in from the tip) and she'll come right around. Sweet arc for such a shorty.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 01:25:27 am »
That's a lot of bend Pat. I'm hoping she stays together too ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2012, 04:45:31 pm »
You just had to jinx her didn't you Cipriano.  ;)

Well, I was exercising her before removing some more weight when she went BOOM! She was on the tiller tree and I was pulling her to 20" to see where I needed to remove more wood to get the weight down when she went. I have to say I'm not all that surprised, disappointed yes but not surprised.  :(
 Anyway, I will remove the sinew and and do a post mortum to see if I can figure out what went wrong, other than trying to get too much pull for her length.

NEXT!!! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »
OH NO  :o   :(   :'( 

Sorry Pat
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:22 pm »
wow-thats a shame pat
thought with the sinew it would hold up at longer pull than that.
sorry man....
would like to know what you decide happened.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »
Reminds me of my last bow...  Sorry man. My heart sank when I saw this.  That bow was looking so GOOD!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
That pic made me feel sick and the bow isn't even mine. Sorry Pat.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline bubby

« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:45 pm »
sorry Pat, but that just shows that even the greats break bows, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:27 pm »
Nooo! I just saw this thread for the first time since that bow went a way to dry.  My heart dropped too, when I scrolled down to the pic.  I am sorry pat.  :'(   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2012, 11:58:25 pm »
After thinking about it for a while and then studying the break I think she broke in tension, ripping the sinew when it went. I made sure when I layed the sinew to cover the handle, fades and out to the limb well because that is where a lot of the stress is. The break initiated(from what I can tell)at the crown on the bottom limb about 5 1/4" from the center of the bow which puts it 3 1/2" from the handle. This bow was to bend in the handle at full draw so I left the handle area a little thicker. I should not have done that! It only concentrated those stresses to a smaller area and the bow gave where the limbs were fading into the handle, side to side and back to belly. I created a weak spot right at the fades. Looking at the last pic I posted of the bow drawn at 24" the left limb is the one that broke in the third pic and the right in the forth. It looks stiff right off the handle and and it probably hinged right there causing the back to fail.
 The bow was at 20" when she blew. I was exercising her after doing a little weight reduction scraping on the belly. I had also thinned(belly side only) one side of the fade on the failed limb side but all I did was rasp then scrape a little to shape the fade more evenly. I guess that also might have "given" just a little more and in wood bows, "just a little more" can be deadly!  :(
  I'm sad this bow went. It was my shortest so far and I was pushing her to see how far she would go. I will do different next time.    ...and thank goodness for the tiller tree. I don't even want to think about if I were holding it in my hand or working with a tiller stick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2012, 12:15:06 am »
Bummer Pat. I feel your pain. You had that baby looking really good. As you said she was definitely a shorty. I think your analysis is probably right on.. On them shorties that bend through the handle is critical.  On a good note I know where you can get some more, Pushing the limits is how we learn the thresholds

Offline Gordon

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:51 am »
Making a bow bend through a narrow transition like that is tricky business - especially with those big paddles further out. I've not attempted that design for that reason - you are braver than I am.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2012, 12:26:24 am »
Keenan, I'm totally blown away how little wood she had in her and she was pulling in the mid 50s @24".
  I've already been thinking about the next one. Some of the sinew on this bow was recovered from Elkie when she kept rejecting it. I soaked it off and saved it. I will do the same with this sinew. Maybe the third time will be the charm.  ;)  I'll call the next one "Patches".  ;D

I think I'll make an atlatl out of the remaining handle and good limb. I've never made one of them before!  ;D

Ignorance is bliss, Gordon.  ;) I realized that about bending through a narrowing section was a no no...after I examined the break.  ::)     Hopefully I learned from my mistake.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:23 am »
Dang it Sir!

Sorry to see her fail to make a bow.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX