Author Topic: how to make a quiver from wildboar fur...  (Read 26419 times)

Offline medicinewheel

how to make a quiver from wildboar fur...
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:04:03 pm »
in my other thread here...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2953.0.html

... justin asked me to do a build-along when i make the next quiver. well, i'm making the next quiver and here comes the build-along!
this-one is going to be this year's combined birthday-christmas-and-all-other-occasions-present for my nephew...

the fur i used is wildboar again but this was a much smaller animal (one can still see the piglet-stripes in the first picture) which makes work a lot easier! i'm sure you can do the same quiver with other furs like from deer or badger just the same way. okay, here we go...

phase 1:

- first of all cut out a half-template similar to what you see in the second picture. mine here measures 25" X 8,5" which will be good to contain a dozen arrows laterone.

- draw a line through the length of the skin and copy the template mirrored onto the skin.

- cut this out carefully using a carpet or leather knife. i cut thisone - as shown in picture 3 - in a line including the ears to get it really fancy (my nephew will like that...)

- if you want your quiver to be really quiet later cut a second piece of fur as shown in the 4th picture and glue it in on the inside around the mouth of the quiver as shown in picture 5

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:19:40 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

Re: how to make a quiver from wildboar fur...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:17:04 pm »
phase 2:

- i have cut and debarked several shoots of european mountainash. you can use whatever shoots: willow, ash or else. split two of your shoots and for drying bend these around something similar seize of the later mouth of your quiver and a bit smaller then that for the bottom. bend two more shoots for drying in a slight curve for the later sideline; these you will split later when dry.

phase 3:

- when the shoots are dry after a few days you can start the sewing process. as shown in picture 6 an awl, a strong needle and waxed shoemaker linen is all you need now. (you do NOT want to stick the awl into ANY part of your body at ANY time during the sewing process!!!)

- lay the curved shoot around the mouth and do your first stitch right in the middle (picture 7)

- from there go inch by inch similar to both sides (picture 8 )

pictures 9 and 10 show you how far i got. this is the result of 3 to 4 hours of work; to get to this point certainly took me three X's longer when i made the first quiver of this kind.

---- more to come ---

have fun, frank

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:06:21 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:25 pm »
Thanks Frank,  I thought I was the only one who didn't like sticking those needles and awls through my hand. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:40:32 pm »
Awesome buildalong Frank.  Are you using rawhide or tanned? The reason I am asking is because I am working a deer hide right now for a new quiver, just wondering if I should tan it or leave it raw.
Justin Blunt

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:28:10 am »
thanks jbell! - thisone is tanned. hillbilly asked the same at the other thread...i'm not sure about a rawhide quiver once it gets wet and soaks with water?! i read somewhere s.pope used a deer rawhide quiver.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 06:13:05 pm »
- next step is to split two curved shoots and cut them to length and stitch them on along both sides of the sideline (picture 11)

- after this stitch these together (picture 12)

- now we need a template for the bottom; we get that by simply pressing a sheet of paper against the bottom (picture 13) and cut it out. in this case here i transfered it exact size on to the leftover fur, than transfered another a bit bigger (picture 14). these i cut out, glued (15) and then sewed (16) them together; the smaller part going to the inside.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:16:57 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:15:02 pm »
- on all quivers i made so far, sewing the bottom in was the hardest job. this quiver here is no exception.( if anyone has a great way of doing this, please feel free to hijack my thread!  ??? ) well, i got it done (picture 17)

- sewing on another bend shoot around the bottom was less difficult (picture 18) (on ed's quiver i couldn't do this cause the leather simply was too thick)

this was another 6 hours of work; i'm happy with the result (19/20) and i think i have a fair chance in the uncle-of-the-month-contest. in phase 4 i will show you how to attache the strap.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:17:53 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:56:49 pm »
Thanks Frank, I'm going to try this one of these days.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 11:16:45 am »

phase 4, here we go:

- i cut twigforks and prepare them as seen in picture 21

- sewing them on as show in 22/23 is no problem as long as you get the twigs to perfectly fit the curves; this step is of greater importance since you really don't want these to come loose.

Frank from Germany...

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:40:28 pm »
Nice quiver.

Here is the one I made awhile ago.

The bottom is a piece of black walnut with hog skin glued to it.  I used brass wood screws to screw the bottom to the walnut.

I alum tanned the hide and made it more like rawhide.  You could drive a truck over it and not damage the arrows.

The quiver is formed to my back.  Prior to a 3D shoot, I wet the quiver and had it flexible, then I put my arrows in it.  I then wore it all day, letting it dry to the form of my back with arrows in it.  Very comfortable quiver.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:43:29 pm by FVR »
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:59 pm »

thanks FVR!  -  your's is a niceone, too!
the solution for the bottom sounds good, too! i've also seen wooden bottems that were sewn on, that seemed practical, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:14 am »
here is the finished quiver: finally managed to put an ajustable strap on it this afternoon!
have not seen my nephew in a long time; gonna meet him for christmas and this is my present for him!

has anyone tried one like that?? - whould love to hear about it and see the results!

merry christmas, frank

Frank from Germany...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 05:00:50 pm »
I like that Frank. I really like the primitive look of the shoots for the framing and strap loops.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 01:06:26 am »
Wow your nephew is going to love that quiver! Nice job Frank, that is a heck of a quiver. ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 03:00:23 pm »
Everytime I come to this thread, I get this strange smell, just seeing the hog quivers reminds me of the smell.  It's not a bad smell, just .......................

I'm trying to get another hog, for the meat and for a new quiver.

Happy Holidays,

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....