Author Topic: Coretex...arghh  (Read 2642 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Coretex...arghh
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:29 am »
Nice work on that last one. Too bad about the other one. If you are regularly breaking them at that stage you are probably putting a death grip on the point. Don't place your fingers on the top of the piece. Support them on the far edge just hard enough to keep it in place
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:13 am »
Yea, I felt it break so I probably did hold it wrong.  Thanks, I'll do that differently.  Unusual for me to have a point that long.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:24 am »
  I know the feeling I have a quart jar full of points that did'nt make it. As well as a 300 year old white oak that has many, many around the base if I don't get mad and wing them across the field. I just keep moveing forward I think.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Tower

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:09:10 am »
When I'm skinnin a point(cortex) if I don't remove all of it in the early stages I remove enough width to take it in 1 or 2 blows.  Start with enough width to accommodate this. Its my method & I have good results.  KNAP-ON!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:20 am »
One of my problems is that I'm so inconsistent.  One hit I'll knock off a whole bunch of it.  The next one won't go near as far and leaves a bunch of coretex in the middle.  Then when I finally get a good platform, I botch the flake and step it or crush it.  Pretty soon I have an island like that.  I'll get it, just need more  experience.  Thanks for the help.

George
St Paul, TX