Author Topic: Yesterday was a great day!!!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Yesterday was a great day!!!
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »
So yesterday I went to my buddy Jon Houk's(aka straightarrow) house to build bows...I worked on a short snakey Hop Hornbeam flat bow..I got it pretty well tillered out..I also roughed out a Hickory flatbow..And that wasn't even the best part of the day...
      Around 11 we went to one of Jon's buddies, who used to build bows.He had various things there he was trying to get rid of..What really caught my eye was a halfway tillered BBO R/D( I think it's glued up with Urac 185?) and an Osage stave for a BBO.They both had turned a rich brown color, apparently pretty old.
      I asked the guy how much He wanted for the two staves and about passed out when he said 25 bucks for both!!!!! I promptly produced the money with a huge smile on my face.
      We made our way back to Jon's shop...In about an hour I had the BBO tillered and shooting. It came in at 37 pounds. I piked 2.5 inches off each limb and re- tillered. It came out 47#@27...After I got back home I moved the nocks down .5 inches on each limb and gained a couple pounds. The only bad part was that the guy who was working on the bow had rasped through the nodes on the boo..I super glued them and am going to put on wraps over the nodes for security.. I added partial bull snake skins from the grip out about 8 inches...The bow finished out 60" ttt and around 50#@27 With ERC tip overlays.. A little sanding and some tru oil and I'll have another good shooter for only 25 BUCKS AND LITTLE WORK!!!The other stave I gave to Jon in appreciation.
I had a blast yesterday. Good friends and bow building...Does life get any better??
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline cracker

Re: Yesterday was a great day!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »
Boy some guys have all the luck and wanna flaunt it in front of uuuuuuuuuuu. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »
It all sounds great Hickory but until we see evidence (pics) it's all hearsay ya know...   >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
I'll get some pics up hopefully next weekend. I'll be spending the weekend building bows with Blackhawk
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:07 am »
I'll get some pics up hopefully next weekend. I'll be spending the weekend building bows with Blackhawk

Yes...yes you will....sounds like ya guys had fun without me....but I bet I had more fun having a marathoner weekend with some michigan boys..lol :laugh: