Author Topic: English Warbow Forum is Back!  (Read 16992 times)

Glennan

English Warbow Forum is Back!
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:43:43 am »
Those of you who were saddened at its demise, now rejoice!  The English Warbow forum is back online.

Sorry Glennan. Had to take the link out. I tried to modify it so it wouldn't come up as a link but really all they need is englishwarbow and the appropriate tags.

P.S. Pity there is so much rigidity in mind that this site could not be used.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:18:07 am by Marc St Louis »

Offline Badger

Re: English Warbow Forum is Back!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:16:13 am »
Hopefully many of you war bow enthusuasts will continue to post here, I enjoy reading and viewing the posts as i suspect others do also. Steve

Offline ChrisD

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 03:48:55 pm »
I'd be very surprised if some people didn't continue posting here. You can't really argue against the right or desire of a given community to have a forum of their own but its actually very important to have more than one forum. As I've mentioned before, the entire community of archers interested in using replica english warbows (however you define  that particular object) is very small and the risk of having just one forum is that it becomes dominated mostly by the enthusiasms of the participants and not much else. Personally, I've been impressed with the PA forum for the following reasons.

1) It provided a forum when t'other one disappeared
2)Its backed up by a commercial enterprise which while it has some disadvantages, also has considerable advantages
3) The spirit of debate is healthy.
4) It's important to embrace the international and interested community

I continue to follow the forum with interest and will continue to post.

Chris

Offline ratty

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 08:17:54 pm »
Those of you who were saddened at its demise, now rejoice!  The English Warbow forum is back online.

Sorry Glennan. Had to take the link out. I tried to modify it so it wouldn't come up as a link but really all they need is englishwarbow and the appropriate tags.

i agree, its sad that helpful site links were met with such veracious hostility. :-\
and the whole thing was run like a money making business. :(

the English warbow is as much fascinating to shoot as it is to build, which I'm afraid was lost here :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:59:35 pm by ratty »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:21:33 pm »
Hostility???? 

I sure will be sorry if some of the guys don't come back and continue to post.  A lot of knowledge could be shared both ways. The basic design and culture of our bows might be different at times, but the working forces and principals are the same.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Glennan

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:09:46 am »

As far as I can tell you didn't have to take the link out.  But you did.  And inserted comments that could be taken as mine.

It seems people are voting with their feet.

Offline Heiner

• Franco Flemish Contingent
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:30 am »
Sadly, I expected something like this (dispute) would occur :'(. It is my opinion, you should all relax a little. This the PA-board and if PA-staff does not see that link fit, it may remove it. If that involves editing an original link, that's the way it is then. Remember, the board-owner makes the rules, as users we accept it.
Anyway, I would be interested in why the link is not appropriate? And surely, with all due respect, making the edit italic would be more catchy to the eye as well ;).

Quote from: Marc St Louis

Marc, you may use the teletype-tag to deactivate links (see attached pic) ;) for this or further instances of this situation. Using that tag, the text will show up like this:

http://www.englishwarbow.com

This not being a true archery-issue, I'd be glad to see it go quite soon and us get back to the fun-part again :D.

Heiner

P.S.: If that "hostility" would be that immense, why not deleting the whole post right away? Anybody :P ;)?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:41:41 am by FrancoFlemishArcher »
Institio regressum significat.

SimonUK

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:37:11 am »
I'll still be coming here. Nothing beats PA for the wealth of advice on bow-making.

I'm also happy that Nick's warbow forum is back up again. Let's face it, Nick's forum is very lively and has that rare combination of heavy macho bows and tight-wearing so often missing in other forums.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 10:36:56 am »
There was no hostility at all. It's just PA policy not to allow direct links to other message boards. Others are not allowed to post them so that rule must also be followed here. Links to businesses that do not advertise through PA are also not allowed, this is as a courtesy to paying advertisers.

I wish I knew how you did that Heiner. What do you mean "teletype". Oh never mind. I just figured it out. Thanks
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Loki

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:58:19 pm »
I like this forum and i'll certainly be sticking around,some of the bows on show around here are wondeful  :P.
Durham,England

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 02:56:50 pm »

I for one was very much saddened by the hiatus that Nick Ashley's English Warbow forum took.  I am very glad it's back.  I think there may have been some confusion about why Primitive Archer started this little forum so let me just state it simply to avoid rumors, etc. 

When Nick's site was closed down temporarily, several member requests went out to Paleo Planet, Primitive Archer, etc. to add a place to discuss warbows.  The management at Primitive Archer called me and asked if I was willing to moderate a warbow forum and I was glad to.  I am about 1/32 English and I don't consider myself to have anything more than a hobbyist interest in warbows (actually, I feel like a rather enthusiastic American tourist) so I have no ambitions to compete with people who are more qualified to run a forum of such historical importance to England. 

In the future, the English Warbow section of our forum could remain for the following reasons:
1.  A rapidly-growing number of members and posts at PA lead to the need for areas to discuss specific topics like warbows.  In the future, we will have forums for flight archery and other important topics. 
2.  There have been some of the best threads ever on this little forum--it would be a shame to delete them. 
3.  Warbow discussion tend to bring out our passions, so it's nice to have a separate place for people to call names.  ;D ;D

I'm a member at Nick Ashley's site and I'm delighted they brought it back.  I hope people will continue to check in now and keep posting here as well. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:15:53 pm »
Thanks Frank, we are moderators because we love archery, not because we know anything about computers.  I have been trying to figure out how to deactivate links.  Direct links are forbidden. Marc left the post so everyone would know that the English Warbow Forum was back.  Anyone having this information could just type English Warbow Forum into a search engine and have the direct link. I have often been in the position of deleting a link, but wanting to leave the information, because it is often usefull.  I have been deleting the link and retyping the business name.  It is nice to know how to leave the info so you can find it without having a direct link. Thanks again Frank,   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ratty

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 08:09:29 pm »
There was no hostility at all. It's just PA policy not to allow direct links to other message boards. Others are not allowed to post them so that rule must also be followed here. Links to businesses that do not advertise through PA are also not allowed, this is as a courtesy to paying advertisers.

I wish I knew how you did that Heiner. What do you mean "teletype". Oh never mind. I just figured it out. Thanks

i was pmd and told to remove links from my sig quite aggressively, because Links to businesses that do not advertise through PA are also not allowed, this is as a courtesy to paying advertisers.

now it maybe hard to believe but not one of the links was a business they were all free to access and no profit is gained atall all the information and participation was free.

like i said in my earlier post

i agree, its sad that helpful site links were met with such veracious hostility. :-\
and the whole thing was run like a money making business. :(

the English warbow is as much fascinating to shoot as it is to build, which I'm afraid was lost here :(

it seemed to me and many others that a english warbow had been hijacked and we weren't allowed to participate as we once did.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:12:39 pm by ratty »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 08:27:37 pm »
  Ratty,I hope everybody dosen't disappear from the Warbow site.It is really interesting for people like me that doesn't know alot about the style.I also don't think anybody hijacked a Warbow site,but instead offered another place to eat when your kitchen was closed.And everybody was a welcome guest as long as the host was treated with respect.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ratty

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:52 pm »
  Ratty,I hope everybody doesn't disappear from the Warbow site.It is really interesting for people like me that doesn't know alot about the style.I also don't think anybody hijacked a Warbow site,but instead offered another place to eat when your kitchen was closed.And everybody was a welcome guest as long as the host was treated with respect.

i still read PA alot,it has amazing knowledge on bowbuilding and fantastic bowyers with a real talent.

i stopped participating in this section for various reasons which i wont go into because it will be long and boring ;)

,I hope everybody doesn't disappear from the Warbow site.It is really interesting for people like me that doesn't know alot about the style

the new site is only a www. away you are welcome to join and participate.