Author Topic: What would you do? . . . DONE . . . Meet Eve:)  (Read 26549 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:55 am »
  That would have been a nice stave to add the reflex needed while green.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:06 am »
I would get my heat gun  out and straighten that sucker up, add some reflex and make a normal bow out of it.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 05:38:40 pm »
No fixing required. That one just needs till erring.  It may look a bit unusual but that is thpoint of using Osage.  Have fun!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:48 pm »
Appreciate all the input, dissenters and all!   I seriously considered doing some correction on that left limb, reconsidered, and considered again after a few of you said it would be a good idea.  Unless i chicken out in the next couple of days, i'm gonna do a little sideways correction in the morning to get the string more into the handle, then start tiller.  I think it will be an awesome teacher either way. 

Thanks again for your suggestions, and i might yet change my mind. . . you'll know when i get the first tiller pics posted ;)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »
Yes Sir!

I'm with You Fellers...

Can't wait to see it Skinned and Shooting!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »
I would mach the left limb to the right limb.
But that's just me !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline k-hat

Re: What would you do?-Updated PICS
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06:40 am »
Ok, put'r on the tiller block this morning.  Shot a couple of pics and a video i'm gonna try posting ala coaster500:

At rest, no tension:

Drawn to 14" and 15# on somewhat long string:

Here is a video link so you can see movement:

http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/k-hat/?action=view&current=120117_001-1.mp4

Sorry for the quality, gotta get a decent camera, will when funds permit ::)

Looking forward to your comments:)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:55:28 am by k-hat (aka stixman) »

Offline k-hat

Re: What would you do? . . . updated w/ tiller pics:)
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:57 pm »
Here's what i see, lemme know what you think:

Looks to me like the left limb is the stiffer one (deflected 2" to the other at 4").  Seems like after another 2 or 3 inches  of draw they might  be about even? 

Inner third of left limb isn't doing a thing, the right seems stiff just outside the fades.  Middle and outer thirds doing most of the work.  Tips of course are stiff, looks like they give just a touch, but hard for me to tell?

What do your eyes say? 

So, should it have the normal "D" profile at brace, excepting some desired stiffness in last 6-8" of each?

Hoping the more experienced folks chime in!

Thanks for lookin and any help offered!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »
Man I would have a heck of a time tillering that by eye! I would be using calipers to make sure I have a good limb thickness taper and call it good when the thickness taper is good and its at the poundage and draw length I wanted. Sorry im no help with this one! :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »
Sorry, I'm afraid I'm with Josh on this one but interesting project.  I would have fallen into George's camp of reflexing the deflexed limb to start with but only because I would have no idea on how to tiller that bugger like she lays.  Good Luck!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline k-hat

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 05:51:20 pm »
Thanks, i'll keep the calipers in mind.  I'm hoping to do this to train my eyes and hand a little better, and get a better understanding of how the wood bends and "shares the load."  If i get impatient and frustrated, i'll have a pair of calipers in hand soon!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »
Man if you flipped the left limb's tip you would have a really nice profile, with a set back handle and some nice recurved tips and all... Lookin nice.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »
It would take me six hours to down load the video on dial up but the posted pics are useful.  unfortunately the vid is likely the best thing to watch over and over to look for trends. 

Having tillered a few of these funky Osage staves, I find squinting helps.  Sounds goofy but I am serious.  You ignore the myriad of details your eye picks up and look at the over all pattern.  On this one it looks like the mid limb of the left side is bending more than the tip.  However, the right side has the opposite problem.  If you look at how much the limb tips are moving from the un-bent to bent photo each moves about the same distance and that is a good sign.  I do not think you should expect a D shaped profile straight away.  It may never develop at all.  Make sure both limbs bend about the same distance,  watch each quarter section to ensure it bends.  On this one you may want to watch it in eighths.   Squint a bit and don't give up.  When you get 'er skint, you will have a character bow worth showing off. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »
Get the bend the best you can and let your bow hand tell you the rest.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

Re: What would you do? . . . updated for laughs:)
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I'm using a combination of your suggestions and it really is coming along nicely despite what your about to see!

So i know the long string lies, but this is ridiculous!! :o

Low brace:

Unbraced:

Can u say POSITIVE TILLER?!  it's ok to laugh, i did soon as i strung it!  ;D    it was looking much nicer before the short string, and i knew that would change as soon as i low braced it, but that was a surprise.
I did quite a bit more work on it this morning and it's getting there.  Lightnin up the right side, working inner and outer limb on left.  I should have it looking right on low brace come tomorrow.