Author Topic: What would you do? . . . DONE . . . Meet Eve:)  (Read 26554 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: What would you do? . . . updated for laughs:)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
PD:  After working it some, i get what you were saying about "let your bow hand tell you the rest."  Helps with the overall picture.

Elk:  not using calipers, but close.  I'm using a small c-clamp set to a low gap.  I place one side against the belly and the other above the back, slide it down and watch the gap change.  helped tremendously with the taper!!

Do have to watch out for little bumps and ridges on the back, but it's easy to see where the taper is flat or or limb is too thick.  Did most of that this morning after i saw my 3" positive tiller, so it doesn't reflect in the pics.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »
Here is a problem area I saw the other day.  A crack probly from not being so careful while doing the lateral string alignment corrections.  It runs back to belly on one edge:

My plan is to finish the initial tiller, back it, and wrap/glue it before i do any serious heavy bending.  That way i won't have to worry about removing belly material from this area.  it doesn't open up at all with what i've done so far.

For the wrap:  arty sinew, nylon serving, or dacron?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »
Thats looking nice! Looks like you know what your doing! Well done so far and thanks for posting this.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline randman

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »
It's still not too late to take the deflex outa that one limb. >:D  It would even up the brace profile (even though I kinda like that asymmetrical profile for some reason).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
Your much closer than you think. Leave that left side alone and CAREFULLY work the fades and mids on the right while the bow is short braced. Exercise it ALLOT between scrapes, more than your normal allot. Your tiller will change for the better. Obviously make that reflexed limb the bottom. If that right limb starts getting thin to catch up, take some width down rather.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:55 pm »
Thanks Elk and Rand, and i did think a couple of times "shor would quicken it up if i flipped that other side!".  Being stubborn though ;)

Thanks PD, i'll continue on that in the morning.  Thanks for the width tip, that'll help i'm sure, because i did notice this morning that the stiff limb was starting to look thinner than the other. 

Think this is the most fun i've had on a bow yet ;D

Will post progress hopefully round lunch tomorrow!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:33 pm »
its like watching a bull rider.  Stay on it man! Stay on it!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:10 pm »
I'm hanging on by my  teeth, believe me!

made some more progress this morning, still have some work gettn her evened up:
here's yesterday:

and today. . .

Here's some pics on the tiller block, then a video of the bending:

video link:
http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/k-hat/?action=view&current=120120_001-1.mp4

Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement that's been offered!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:51:39 pm by k-hat (aka stixman) »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »
See if you can get the middle on the right moving just a pinch more. Remember to exercise the heck out if it before you take any more wood away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »
I gotta tell ya, i exercised it so much i think it was exercising me!!  50-60 pulls each time i removed wood.  Seems to work better if i bend it like doing floor tiller, then let it spring back to simulate shooting, which is what i would be doing if it was ready. 

I'll work on it some more in the morning, specially the mid right, and hopefully have it even for next post.

Thanks for your help Chris!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »
You do mean the right limb in the brace pic?  Accidentally reversed on the tiller block.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »
Yes sir.  You are going to have cool bow shortly.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
I gotta tell ya, i exercised it so much i think it was exercising me!!  50-60 pulls each time i removed wood. 

We call it bow making aerobics.... 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline k-hat

Re: What would you do? . . . updated--getn there
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:27 am »
I was exercising the limbs after wood removal and . . . CRACK!  Lifted a large splinter on the back, right down the middle, bout 8-9 inches long.  Here's the damage:

The culprit is a sneaky little pin knot that i missed, or neglected since it was sooo small . . .

I know this just shows my inexperience in dealing with staves, so it's a little embarrassing :-[

I'm gonna patch'r up and back her.  Here's what i have... superglue, TBII, arty sinew, nylon serving thread.  What is your recommended fix on this?  Should i wrap before i apply the backing or after?  Either using silk or linen.

Arrrrgh! >:(

Thanks for any and all help!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: What would you do? . . . updated--awe SNAP! :(
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »
How about some goat rawhide. I would be glad to send you some so you can keep this project going.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.