Author Topic: new to arrow making  (Read 2156 times)

Offline blackpanem

new to arrow making
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:49:45 pm »
hello im new to arrow making and i have no idea what im doing is probably the easiest way to say it. im especially having trouble with shafts, i cannot get straight shafts no matter what, any advice? also what kind of wood should i be using? thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new to arrow making
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
What kind of shafts do you have? Most wood shafts can be straightened by hand or if  necessary a little heat too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:10 am »
there is a really good build along on making arrows w/ lowes or home depot bamboo garden stakes you should check it out.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html
Shawn Acker

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:51:30 am »
If ya got the high speed intranet, the Arrows Forum just broke the 100 page mark.  Got a lot of info @ your finger tips here.  Woo Hoo PA Arrows Forum!!  100 PAGES!!  Lots of different arrow possibilities out there, don't get to anal about it right off the bat, have ya some fun, learn and always try to improve.  ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:13 am »
Definitly check out the PA arrow forum.  That being said I find that Cedar shafts are the easiest to straighten for me.  I've used a Shaft Tamer and a flat surface (table, counter, etc...) for years with good results.  Just be patient, it may take awhile to perfect your shaft straightening skills.   

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:15:40 pm »
You could propably also find some short clips on youtube on handstraightning arrows, propably the easiest shaft to straighten, is a cedar one ( if you ask me). You could use steam, I handstraighten my shafts when I am target shooting and walking to and from the target.

I would recommend using store bought shafts to start off....don't know If you were talking about handmade or bought shafts...

I found that the only way to match a arrow to a bow is to try different types, but also keep in mind some basic guidelines.

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »
thanks everyone, and i am using bamboo that grows in the woods near my house. all of the pieces get sort of zig zaggy and im still having trouble making them straight. but i will try using some cedar. thanks

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:56 pm »
i just found the bamboo arrow guide that was like 3 threads below this. did not see it there but thanks for the help anyways

Offline bbrooks5

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:24:48 am »
YOU CAN USE A EYE HOOF(from home depot) WITH APPROX. ONE(1) INCH DIAMETER OPENING(OPEN OR CLOSED EYE IT DOES NOT MATTER) PUT shaft  END ON A TABLE AND HOLD OTHER  IN HAND @ A 45-DEGREE ANGLE TO THE TABLE---ROTATE SHAFT TO THE HIGH SIDE UP(THE CROWN) STROKE THE SHAFT SLIGHTLY BEFORE ,THRU AND AFTER THE CROWN UNTIL SHAFT is straight. THIS WILL ALSO COMPRESS(burnish) THE SHAFT AND WILL HELP HOLD THE SHAFT IN THE new STRAIGHTEN POSITION LONGER.
Burnishing the whole straight shaft (resting flat on a table) also helps the shaft against moisture and makes shaft less prone to cracks(also good for bows) I prefer doug fir to all split wood shafts to include PO cedar. I believe it recovers faster and is much more durable. I hope this helps. Bob