Author Topic: the lethality of stone points....  (Read 5831 times)

Offline billy

the lethality of stone points....
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:19:55 pm »
HEy ya'll,

I just wanted to post my own experience of using stone points here because I was afraid it would get lost in the other post.

I'm no expert on hunting with stone points (who is?), but I wanted to relate some of my experiences with stone points and how effective they can be. 

I've killed numerous small game animals with stone points and this spring I killed a 23 pound gobbler with a stone-tipped rivercane arrow.  That gobbler only ran 40 feet, then collapsed.  That's right, 40 feet.  Now, 2 weeks after I shot my turkey, my brother shot 2 gobblers with his $800 Mathews bow and carbon fiber arrows.  Both turkeys ran into the woods about 100 yards away.  One turkey was found the next morning, half-eaten by coyotes.  The other turkey was never found.   My brother then abandoned his bow and used his shotgun.  He shot at another gobbler, but it started running off so he started blasting at it in an attempt to stop him.  That turkey ran into the woods and, after searching for 2 hours, was never found.

This past November I was sitting in my stand and had a coyote stop 20 yards in front of me.  I shot at him, but missed.  My arrow hit a small tree and glanced off. When I went to retrieve my arrow, I was shocked at what that stone point did to the bark of the tree.  Although it was a glancing blow, the serrated edge of the stone point sliced down through the bark and into the very top layer of the wood.  The bark and wood fibers were splintered outward,  resembling the effect of a small caliber bullet.  Only the very tip of the stone point was dinged off.  I repaired the tip, resharpened the edge, and five months later that same stone point was used to kill my turkey. 

I've shot rabbits, squirrels, and other small stuff with stone points, and, just like anything else, shot placement is key.  Hit them in the right place with a stone point and you'll be amazed at how fast the victim dies.   

I've spoken with other people across the country who have used stone points and almost all of them have expressed that, for some reason, animals hit with stone points seem to die quicker than those hit with steel points.  Perhaps it's the serrated edge that does more tearing than a razor-sharp steel point.  Regardless, stone points are amazingly effective if used within their limitations.  Steel points are also incredibly effective as well.  I've seen what 3-blade Muzzy broadheads do to a deer, and hopefully this fall I'll get to see what my stone points do to a deer (I've never gotten a deer with stone points). 

Stone points work amazingly well, then again, so do steel points.  I really don't think there is that much of a difference.  What bugs me is that people seem to have the misconception that stone points are dull, or they don't work well, or that they only wound animals.  The problem is that they have no experience with them.

So if you want to use stone points, do it!  Just make sure they are sharp.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Kegan

Re: the lethality of stone points....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:18:33 pm »
Wow, what a record! And not only to arrow a turkey with a selfbow, but to drop it quickly with a stone poiint is outstanding, and inspiration for all of us.

I heard someone talking aout stone points being deadly because, unlike modern steel, the seration that is on a flint head is much sharper, being produced differently. I don't know if there is any truth behind it, but i seems logical to me :).

Good luck on your deer this fall ;D!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:49:29 pm »
Billy,Kegan I did some research last night after getting off the other thread on this subject.I did a google search"surgery with obsidian"and came up with two interesting sites.Glimmerdream.com and Forums.obsidianent.com .One of them was a discussion with heart surgeons.It said Obsidian is used for heart surgery blades.They said the cutting edge is 5 times sharper than high quality surgical scalpels.It produces a cleaner cut and less tissue trauma which translates to faster healing and less scar tissue.That fit in with another article and show I saw on the Discovery Channel.The article was comparing steel broadheads to obsidian points and trauma.It said that since the obsidian made such a clean cut,I'm not talking about serrations,That the bodies self defence mechanism didn't react to being shot.This defence mechanism in the body is triggered by skin trauma and starts the bodies blood coagulates to start to try and stem the flow.Alot of times the article said that the body didn't realise it was injured and the blood flow was faster.I thought it was interesting because I've shot hogs before and watched them jump and then go back to eating until they fell over dead.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:30:56 am »
ed thats great info. i always wondered why so many of the deer ive shot with stone have reacted the way they do. the noise on impact is loader than steel . rather than a puncture sound i considered it more of a getting hit with a baseball bat sound yet the animal often jumps 10 ft then walks away with the arra in it or just goes back to feedin. several of the folks i know who study these things have said the same thing. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
  Jamie,I always wondered too.I've shot multiple shots at deer and hogs .And as long as they didn't see you or smell you they ignored everything.Turkeys are the same.If they don't see you, the shotgun is no different then Thunder.Since reading some of those articles,I've quit putting big serrations on my arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?