Author Topic: Traditional Muzzle loading?  (Read 16602 times)

Offline DLH

Traditional Muzzle loading?
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:25:01 am »
Wondering if anyone on PA is into the traditional firearms I think it would be fun to explore myself anyone else think so?

Offline Blacktail

Re: Traditional Muzzle loading?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:36:31 am »
i shoot alittle black powder...i would love to build a flintlock some day...i do have a lyman great plains 54 cal...and shot a 3 point blacktail with it....later john

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:50 am »
I shoot a 50 cal hawkins style,have for years. Lots of good times!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:14 am »
DLH, There are a bunch of us on here that shoot blackpowder.  As for me, I have stuck w/ the patch and ball set up rather than the newer inline models.  I have two 50cal, a 45 cal, a 32 cal and a 50 cal plains pistol.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:45 pm »
I have, mostly inline in the past but one of my goals this year is to build me a custom flint lock (with all the sexy trimmings  >:D)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »
I've got a 50 cal  old kit rifle and a inline, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
I think it would be fun to explore myself

What you chose to do in the privacy of your own home, with your shades drawn tight I hope, is completely up to you!

Seriously, I am a hardcore flintlock shooter.  I shoot a .50 Early Lancaster style (circa 1760), the lock is a customized large Siler, the barrel is a button rifled swamped Colerain, with brass hardware, and a single trigger inletted carefully to provide just a bit under 3 lbs of pull with no creep or travel (she breaks like thin glass).  I've taken 8 deer with that gun and I have yet to finish carving down the stock and laying on a finish!  Part of that is because I have only just recently decided on a style of carving I want on the buttstock. 

I also own a Wilderness Mountain Arms (they are now defunct, sadly) .36 Tennessee rifle in fine curly maple and plain brass furniture.  She's called Perty Gurl, because she's tall and skinny with just enough curves to draw the eye...and she'll take your heart out with one shot. 

The .50 is called Lux.  From the Latin term lux et veritas, translates as "light and truth".  With the swamped barrel taking 1.8 lbs of steel of the weight, "Light" is a good name for her, she also shoots straight as a beam of light.  Well, she does, but I don't.   The plan is to build a flinter .50 cal pistol to match and name the pistol "Veritas". 

I just finished building two antelope priming horns for flintlock shooters and I have a third horn to get started on.  I plugged the end of the horn with osage, wow does it look pretty against the black horn!  I'm also working on a shooting bag, leather, cotton canvas lining with pockets, woven strap with a buckle and leather strap adustment.  I hope to find a nice shaped raw horn to make into a simple powderhorn, too.  I hope to have all of them done before the Tennessee Classic. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »
OK JW...this really intrigues me!  Can you post up any pics of all the above mentioned articles???  I'd LOVE to see them all.  Thanks buddy!

(completely unrelated and off-topic but I drew one of the 4 very coveted Norther Goshawk Take Permits for here in Michigan on Monday...yehawwww!!!)
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »
Let's see some pics of your horns JW.  Powder horns.  :o
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »
OK JW...this really intrigues me!  Can you post up any pics of all the above mentioned articles???  I'd LOVE to see them all.  Thanks buddy!

(completely unrelated and off-topic but I drew one of the 4 very coveted Norther Goshawk Take Permits for here in Michigan on Monday...yehawwww!!!)

Lee, I would gift you with a powderhorn, pouch, and priming horn set just for the chance to watch you fly that goshawk!  Wow, what a fierce predator for such a little bird.  But I do NOT envy your time manning that bird!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »
I think I am? ::) I have four 12 gauge shotguns, one .50 flintlock, two .50 cappers, a .45 Kentucky long rifle capper, that real nice rifle that RickD just traded me with the W Large barrel and four .45 pistols, and my bedroom is like a bomb with about 8 pounds of Black Powder in it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »
I wasn't counting the double barrel 10 ga. caplock, the .50 caplock, and the .44 cap and ball 6-shooter.  Only flintlocks count!   >:D

By the way, that double barrel 10 guage is a great gun for rabbits at close range, no joke.  Half ounce of shot and 50 grains of powder, she shoots like a bantam weight 28 guage.  Those twin storm drains masquerading as barrels soak up ALL the recoil!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:05 pm »
well JW since you are the guy about flintlocks...what kind of style and rifle would you recommend for a newbie builder that wants to build a flintlock...john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »
Sending you a PM.  Since they don't advertise in PA, not really their market, I don't think it is proper to post their information. 

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:39 am »
JW, can ya send me the same PM bud?  Thanks!!!

Where are your pics????
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold