Author Topic: hello and a bow wood question  (Read 11153 times)

Offline arthur_the_great

hello and a bow wood question
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:40 pm »
first of all hello from Spring Branch, TX

now for the question
anyone know what are the good trees in the area to make bows from?

thanks for any information
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:49:10 pm by arthur_the_great »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: hello and a bow wood question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:16:02 pm »
Sorry to say, you are in a bow wood desert.  Nope, can't do a thing with osage, hickory, etc.  In fact, you should cut all the osage and hickory you can find down there, split it, and ship it to me.  By clearing the land maybe you can grow some pine or something.    >:D

There's a couple guys down your way that are going to chip in soon.  They will offer you advice, tips on picking good trees, heck - they may even offer you the opportunity to pick thru their piles of wood.  Resist the temptation, it's too addictive.  Run while you can!   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »
so not only am i surrounded evil mountain cedar (AKA ashe juniper) there is no usable bow wood!

what about the area around stockdale, TX we should be moving there by the end of the year

(the reason mountain cedar is evil is because every winter and some of the spring the pollen nocks me on my behind and once it put my aunt in the hospital!)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure there is good bow wood in your area.  Do you get out of town and into the country?  Are you familiar with what osage orange looks like (also called bo-dark, bois d'arc, hedge, hedgeapple, etc)?  The fruit is this ugly lime green thing the size of an orange or grapefruit with a very fissured surface.  And no, ya don't eat it, it's only for little green men.

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:13:58 pm »
i live out in the country
I think i know Osage orange looks not quite sure though
but there is a tree that i think fits the description but never saw any fruit
lots of thorns though it's very crooked
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:17:39 pm by arthur_the_great »

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:01:59 pm »
Welcome!
Just a prediction - In a year's time, you will not only be spotting osage trees at a mile's distance, you will be knocking on doors asking if they want that useless, thorny beast removed. ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:05:39 pm »
 :laugh:
 I hope so postman  :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:11:09 am »
Lets see, it's very crooked, and has thorns.  Yep, that's osage.  The wood will be a yellow-orange color with a thin ring of white sapwood just under the bark.  The hard part is finding one that has a straight section long enough to make a bow from.  Look at the bark and try to find one that doesn't have any twist to it.  And the thicker the growth rings the better.  You want thick dark rings and thin lighter colored rings.  When you cut one, seal the ends with glue, shellac, or polyurethane as soon as you can.  I seal the ends as soon as the tree hits the gound.  Then you get to the fun part, splitting it and removing the bark and sapwood.

Hickory is also another good bow wood as JW mentioned.  Especially if you are in a dry climate like texas.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:38 am »
I'm not sure osage goes that far south,  Crooked and thorny also matches mesquite and I'm real sure that grows down there.  If the heartwood is brown it's mesquite, it it's yellow it's osage.  Are there pecan trees down there?  You can build bows from that for sure.  Otherwise I'm hosting an osage tree cutting up by Dallas in 2 weeks if you can get here.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 02:13:50 am »
I'm not going to be ready to do osage bow for a little while i still haven't made one bow yet (unless you one from pvc)
I'm sure that the tree is osage we had to some branchs they were up against the house wall they were bright yellow almost whight

what would be awesome is if i could all cedar in the area
it make up just over half the trees in the area about half of whats left is one type of oak or another
the rest is minor amounts about a dozen different trees

one of the threads in the bows board its labeled First Bow someone  made a juniper bow its been posted in today so its fairly recent

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:57 am »
Howdy,  Jackcrafty has posted several bows made from Ashe juniper, including a fairly heavy weight warbow.   If you can find a straight piece of juniper you're in.   Check out jackcrafty's posts or even send him a pm.
Now those twisty osage orange trees have their proponents too.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »
It might be best to start with osage and then try so-called second string woods.  Osage will take a lot of abuse and still bend without blowing up.  There is a saying on here that sums it up, "Don't take much osage to make a bow."

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »
Hard for me to say, but JW is right.  Osage is a lot easier to get a bow out of than juniper, especially for a new bowyer.  Pat B is making a real nice bow out of an osage sapling and is using the sapwood.  That would be a good way to start if you can find one.  Also, watch Craig's List.  You might find somebody cutting fence posts that will sell you an osage post good for 2-4 bows for less than $10.  You can get juniper the same way.  I tillered my first hickory bow this weekend and I liked the wood a lot.  If you can find some pecan or hickory it makes a great bow and San Antonio might be dry enough for it to shoot well.  Sometimes local hardwood stores will have hickory boards too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »
Hard for me to say, but JW is right. 

Equally hard for me to live with the fact that I have taken a position that George would agree with.  But that's life.   :P

You should take him up on his offer to go woodcutting in two weeks, even if it is just to meet the woman that has tolerated him for so long she's officially a saint and also makes him biscuits and gravy (scones and sausage sauce for your Brits).

Offline GaryR

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:24 pm »
Arthur, you should try hickory or pecan(basically the same tree) if you want to cut your own. Use osage/bodark if you can get it. A lot of posts I've read on here are bows of elm which I know you also have locally.