Author Topic: hello and a bow wood question  (Read 11154 times)

Offline arthur_the_great

Re: hello and a bow wood question
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:02 am »
i'm interested in juniper because it grows like a weed out here almost everyone is allergic to it with varying degrees and i dont get out much

dont think that my parents are going up to dallas any time soon so i cant take him up on his offer id love but cant sorry :'(

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:13 am »
OK.  If you're going to use juniper, look for a clump of them and go to the center to try and find one about 2"-3" in diameter with almost no branches.  Then cut it and clamp it to a board or workbench to keep it from warping as it dries.  Patrick (jackcrafty) is an expert on juniper bows.  Hopefully he'll be along to help.  I have a pole like that I haven't made into a bow yet, so I've helped about all I can.

If you and your parents get up to Dallas, PM me and I'll give you an osage stave.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 02:30:02 pm »
Howdy,  I've felt a little overwhelmed by all the votes for anything but juniper.   I have not worked with Ashe juniper,  but I have made and like bows of  ERC. rocky mountain and western juniper.  I'm also a believer in "using what you have", especially if that means the difference between getting started, instead of putting things off while waiting for the "better"wood.

I hope Arthur finds a great stave and is successful on his first bow.   Realistically most of us break a bow or two (or more) when we are first starting.

I still say go for it.   The hard part will be finding a straight, knot free stave.   If Ashe is anything like the junipers I've harvested. the best trees will be found in areas where shade makes them struggle to reach the light.   The center of a dense grove, or the bottom of a north facing bank are places that have worked for me.   Another possibility is a a horizontal branch from a tree growing out in the open.  Sometimes the lower branches are quite straight and long.   The worst that can happen is that Arthur has to walk around the country side looking for the right tree.   And if he has a tree ID guide, he might find one of the yellow trees, too.    Ron
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
Arthur sent me PM and I gave him some advice about using juniper.

Personally, ashe juniper is one of my favorites and I'm glad I live where people consider it trash wood. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »
my little sister just broke the stave i cut down and dried and roughed out  and ready to start tillering  :'(
now I'm gonna have to start looking for another tree to cut down that will be awhile  :(

i guess in the mean time if my dads going to home depot I'll tag along and search through the red oak 1x2s cause i found a few good tutorials on using them to make bows

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 02:17:21 pm »
Well if your little sister was able to break the stave there was probably flaw in it of some kind.   It's a bummer though!   Good luck with the oak board, but keep looking for another tree.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »
Well if your little sister was able to break the stave there was probably flaw in it of some kind.   It's a bummer though!   Good luck with the oak board, but keep looking for another tree.     Ron

Or else your sister was reeeaaallllyyyy mad at you!

The oak/hickory board bow is a great way to get started.  Shoot, after a couple hunnert bows I still crank out board bows once in a while. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.