Author Topic: easier way to shred sinew?  (Read 26941 times)

econner

easier way to shred sinew?
« on: August 04, 2007, 05:27:02 pm »
Is there an easier way to shred leg sinew than the typical pound and pull method? That gets pretty old pretty quick. I know that is the point of primitive archery versus hunting with a rifle, but there has to be a happy medium. 

I am sure that there isn't any way to do this, but with all of the knowledge flying around on this board, some ingenious soul could figure something out.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: easier way to shred sinew?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:57:30 pm »
The easier way to do it is to pay someone else to do it for you.  However, if you are looking for a better way than pounding, I don't think it exists.  If you get a florist frog to help separate the sinew it will probably make it a little easier.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
                                ;D..........bob

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 08:47:36 pm »
It's easier if you at least start to shred it (like remove it from it's sheath) while still green, right off the leg.

Ralph

tomm

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 09:07:22 pm »
the easer way for me is to use back sinew its longer and can easily be serrated with a florets frog I did 10 or 12 in one evening.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:16:54 pm »
Some say to shred it when wet,but i dont like handlein wet gooey slippery sinew n try to strip it.I see and read many accounts,where they try n pull it apart,from end to end.I find it much easier to pound it,then start pullin it apart from the center out.I get less waste,longer strings,and generally do it with my hands,after the initial pounding.You can have that 2 pliers method.LOL
Other than that,i dont really think there is any real EASY way to process sinew,other than buyin or tradein it Processed.If workin sinew,really aint yer thing,there is always selfbows,and other materials fer lashin fletches.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 04:26:32 pm »
I agree with Trax.  The little amounts of sinew I have processed, I feel that pulling from the center to the ends is the best.  You get less run out than if you start at the ends.  I have never tried the florist frog, just read a lot about how people love using it.  That is why I said probably easier.  The process with the frog also pulls it apart from the middle, not the ends.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

rdb

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:10:49 pm »
Seems everyone has their preference but for me, the easiest is to soak a tendon for several hrs starting with warm water then shred by hand. As long as it's soaked long enough, it comes apart extremely easy compared to pounding...especially if the sheath was stripped from the tendon upon removal from the animal. The water does the work for me and there is rarely a need for pliers or a hammer. I also believe, depending on the tendon and animal it came from, that there is less waste and there are more full length pieces (same length as the original tendon).

An advantage to doing this...at least from what I have read and according to my mentor who was taught this from a native...is that shredding sinew like this makes stronger strings being that the fibers aren't broken/pulverized.  I personally would not know one way or another though. All my strings to date have been made this way (coincidently, all my sinew backed bows have been backed with pounded sinew).

Have fun!

econner

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:37:23 pm »
Just checkin. Thanks

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 08:09:56 am »
i smash it till the membrane loosens up then use my teeth to pull it apart from the center.peace

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 10:54:49 am »
OK, call me stupid but what's a florist frog?  google can't find it.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 11:20:38 am »
Dang Marius, I though if anybody would know flowers, it would be you.   ;D Actually the first time I heard the term I searched and searched but could not find out what it was.  I finally read a book by a NA that had a picture.   This is a picture that I found on the internet.  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 01:34:37 am »
isn't that thing used for wool as well?

Trapper

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 02:19:20 pm »
Your hands are the best tool for this application. sorry there is no easier way without loosing a bunch of sinew, Some people just dont have the right patience for this kind of stuff and you could be one of them , If I were you and didnt like doin it , pay someone to do it for you.Trap

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:04:13 pm »
When I do it I usually pound some of it.Then sit back and watch TV or a movie and separate it,laying it in bundles along my leg.rdb,How do you keep it from getting tangled together when doing it wet?If it's as easy as you make it sound ,I'm going to have to try it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?