Author Topic: easier way to shred sinew?  (Read 26919 times)

Offline venisonburger

Re: easier way to shred sinew?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 11:10:13 pm »
I do what Mullet does, sit and watch TV, I use a needle nose pliers and a set of pliers, that way it's not too hard on the fingers, I can do enough for a bow in a short time.
VB

Trapper

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 11:34:25 pm »
Eddie, you just keep the different bundles seperated while you soak them sometimes if I have alot too soak I tie the bundles with a little peice of the sinew , I just half hitch it, then soak, the half hitch can be cut or pulled out after your bundles are soaked, I ussually make my bundles big enough so that when you flatten them, it will go all the way across the bow back.             Trapper

rdb

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 12:52:20 am »
When I do it I usually pound some of it.Then sit back and watch TV or a movie and separate it,laying it in bundles along my leg.rdb,How do you keep it from getting tangled together when doing it wet?If it's as easy as you make it sound ,I'm going to have to try it.

To date, I have just been laying each individual piece separately straight and on a towel. Then, once they dry a little (doesn't take long) and stiffen, I bundle them together with a twist tie (I like Trappers idea of using sinew too). Of course, this has just been for strings which doesn't take that much sinew. Any way, once dry, the pieces are a lot different then when pounded....kinda wirey but they soften nicely when reconstituted in warm water for a few minutes. It doesn't always work out but I like to get each piece about the size of 1-2 strands of dental floss.

The pliers will still need to come out if the sheath is around the tendon, otherwise, it seems pretty easy.