Author Topic: Question about sealing an ipe bow.  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Jesse

Question about sealing an ipe bow.
« on: August 04, 2007, 07:45:25 pm »
I hope someone out there can help me. I realized I just cant use tru oil. Regardless of all the tips Ive got from you guys. I just cant get it to look right no matter what I do and after shooting it for a while the finish started popping off. So I sanded off the bad spots and tried using a spray. The second that deft brand laquer hit the bow it all raised up and it looks real bad. I am going to strip it all down for the third time with acetone. I dont want to do it a fourth. Any thoughts? maybe 600 grit paper is to fine for the stuff to hold to the wood? Should I use 220 before I seal it next time?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline waterlogged

Re: Question about sealing an ipe bow.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:21:07 pm »
I've done spray on polyurethane (*gasp*) a few times before on IPE, one was sanded with 0000 steel wool, so I think you'd be fine with that. Hope it goes better this time.

PS - the polyurethane was minwax brand
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »
I have never built an ipe bow, but I do work with it quite a bit as decking.  In the instructions for decking they claim it dosn't need a finish but this is probably a bad idea for a bow.  I have had luck with Cabots Austrailian timber oil for customers that insisted on some protection.  It is an oil for different exotic wood species.  I don't know if it will build up like tru oil but should help preserve.  I hope I helped and didn't further confuse the situation. Good Luck
Traverse City, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »
                 Bone it with hawg fat er ifn ya aint got that use crisco. Bone hard and I mean HARD, at least 30 times say 3x a day fer 10 days. Will give ya a nice finish and will help waterproof ya bow, ipe is an oily wood so like said it dont really need a finish. As it ages and weather an sun get ta it, it will develop a nice silvery patina.........bob

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »
I used a 50/50 mixture of Shellac and linseed oil,...wipe it on, wipe it off, ...I like it ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:07:29 am »
Thanks guys.  Hey northshore-- what kind of finish does that give?  What brands of shellac and linseed do you use?
Kowechobe-- how do you bone a bow? Im not sure Im comfortable boning something with hawg fat lol.
 Thanks again
                                                   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:13:21 am »
I use bees wax on ipe, shoe polish would likley work pretty good as well, moisture is no big deal with ipe, it doesnt seem to absorb much. steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 04:20:56 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I think degreasing it before you sealed it would have solved all you problems.  Most paints and sealers do not like oily wood, even if they are oil based products.  I degrease everything before I seal it,  just out of caution. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:00:08 pm »
A satin finish,...brands?.I'll check ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:15:42 pm »
One problem is you can't spray lacquer over Truoil.It will scale up and look like crap.Found out from experience.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jbell

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 10:43:49 pm »
I think Justin is right, degreasing is the ticket. Also in my opnion I wouldn't use lacquer on any thing that bends,its too brittle. Been their done that!
Justin Blunt

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:35:33 pm »
I will make sure I use plenty of acetone before I  seal it this time. Yeh laquer over tru oil is bad news. Now I know.  The Deft laquer I was using was actually recommended to me by a company that makes bows so I gotta think it works to some degree But using it over tru oil was my idea. Definately a mistake.
                                                                   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 08:34:56 am »
Interesting/informative thread. Thanks, guys  :).
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline d frana

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 09:06:25 pm »
i'V USED A 50-50 MIXTURE OF POLYURATHANE AND MINERAL SPIRITS WIPED ON IPE. ABOUT 3 OR 4 COATS.TURNS OUT GREAT.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 12:55:17 am »
I also like to burnish burnish the bow, and use the melted wax, or mineral oil when I when I want it to have a flat finish. If I want the bow to shine I like using waterbased glossy polyurethane (Varathane ) applied with a sponge brush in thin coats, with a light sanding with 600gr. between coats. I like using the poly over mineral oil, as it makes everything a touch darker.

Rich-