Author Topic: reflexing wood  (Read 6515 times)

Offline david w.

reflexing wood
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:30:15 pm »
i have very limited experience in bow builing but i would like to reflex my next bow, nothing huge just flipping the tips  a little.
can i use a blowtorch to heat the wood as long as im careful

if this is out of my skill level please tell me

im almost done with my bow im making now just need to sand paint and finish it, should only take a couple days. :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: reflexing wood
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:50:03 pm »
David, Any heat source will work BUT! your skill level will make a difference. I use oil when I use dry heat. I think it helps to distribute the heat, hold the heat in the wood longer and will help keep it from scorching. When I flip the tips on a bow, I put it on the form, clamp the support strap and let gravity tell me when its time to bend. With osage I heat until the weight of the bow starts to pull the stave down. Then I pull it down, correcting to be sure the tip is straight than lash it to the form til morning.
   What wood are you using? that will make a difference.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:09:17 pm »
red oak or black walnut

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:11:41 am »
I don't think I would use a torch an electric heat gun yes. You would have a tough time
not burning yer bow with open flame.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:23:32 am »
You could do it with a torch but you would have to protect the wood from a direct flame. Perhaps putting the tip in a steel pipe and heating that till the tip is hot
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

MattE

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:28:34 am »
Marc, I like your idea of putting the limb in a pipe.Why haven't I thought of that in all these years I have been playing around with bows?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:07:25 pm »
I've bent wood with a blowtorch before I got a heatgun. If you put some crisco on it and then wrap the area in aluminum foil and be careful you should be fine.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:19:13 pm »
I've also used a stove burner set on high. Have the belly area of the limb you want to bend around 12" above the burner. Also coat with cooking oil as Pat said. Make sure you have a pair of leather gloves for handling and are ready with form and clamps. Heat gun would be better though if you have one...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:28:19 pm »
thanks for all the help.  i might try it once i make a few more bows.  i like hillbilly's  idea of the crisco and foil.  i also like the idea of using a pipe.   after i heat it how do i bend it.  My dad gets tons of free vises could i use those?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 11:05:03 pm »
Hey Hillbilly,
Tinfoil huh,Whoda thunk.
Youd think,after all the fish,ive cooked that way,id a thought to use it fer wood too. :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:50:37 am »
I wouldn't. Before I got a heat gun I used the kitchen range. I have a very understanding wife. I grease or oil the wood too. My bending is done using a vice. I try to keep it simple.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!