Author Topic: War Bow shooting advice?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

War Bow shooting advice?
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »
So a few weeks ago I finished my first Warbow. I'll post pics eventualy but it's about 67in long, hickory, with a dark steel wool/vinegar stain, probably draws around 120 pounds at 28in haven't really measured it yet but it's pretty strong. My next highest bow is 60lbds and I can shoot that like there is no tomorrow and do so quite accurately. But with the War Bow I find I put a lot more effort into drawing and less into accuracy, is this normal? Oh and my arrows are split timber hickory shafts between 23/64th and 1/2in with 160gr field tips shafts stained black with black fletching tied on with artificial sinew.

So any accuracy/shooting tips for a war bow would be much appreciated, thanks!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: War Bow shooting advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
I just built a 90# YewELB bow. I can draw 70# no prob. It took a fortnight of exercise before I could shoot the 90# and even then it strained the joints on the fingers of my right hand.
After the first week I could get it back to about 27 but couldn't really aim. By week 2 I could get to 28" and hit the target at short range. You don't want to mess about aiming, you should be on target at about 26" and as your right elbow comes over and down for those last few inches of draw, you can just let go when you hit both full draw and aim simultaneously.
I fully expect to get berated for this post on the grounds that I can't pull 140# and therefore "don't know what I'm talking about".
If you look at my 'bowyers diary' (just type that into google) you'll see a couple of videoas over the last few weeks and you can see the difference that a fortnight of exercise makes.
Bear in mind I'm 60 now so totally senile and decrepit.
I'd guess if you gone straight from 60# and can pull the new bow, it may well be less than 120#, but only the scales will tell the truth.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ian.

Re: War Bow shooting advice?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:38:01 pm »

I fully expect to get berated for this post on the grounds that I can't pull 140# and therefore "don't know what I'm talking about"..
Del

Del that doesn't happen on this forum, perhaps on other forums people are berated for try to help, but not here.

To the question in hand, have you done a search through the forum there are some good topics, one to look at especially is Yeomabowmans post in this thread http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,15127.15.html Very bottom of page 2 is where you need to look.

Some things to consider,

A 67" bow isn't really a warbow it will pull far heavier than a longer bow of a comparative draw weight, and may be in danger with the longer draw required.

With a warbow your draw length is behind the head, for someone of average build and height that is about 31-32".

Your arrows should be fine, with warbow arrows the important detail is the physical weight, should be between 50 and 70 grams for average shooting.

And yes, until you are able to pull a bow with relative ease, accuracy will suffer; this is twinned with achieving a full draw every time.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/